Forums

At a loss on how to continue this position... Black to move and would appreciate any suggestions.

Sort:
Avinash1206

So I reached this position by playing against myself over a few weeks. The thing is I forgot to jot down the moves and am stuck in this position. I have absolutely no idea how to continue this position with black. Black has the bishop pair and a knight, a pass pawn and down a pawn. White has a pair of knight, a dark square bishop and 4 pawns. Black to move. Is it possible to have anything but a draw here? I am looking for the best sequence of moves for both black and white.

Avinash1206

And by draw I mean the best situation for black is a draw while for white it is clear that the d and f pawn might be possible queening files.

Arisktotle

White threatens to cash in on the pin with .Ne8+ while .Ne4 and .Ng3 are nasty as well. Best move for black: ..Bxd6. After that white is still a pawn up and the only side with winning chances. I'd take a draw with black any day.

Avinash1206

Ne4 and Ng3 can be countered by the light square bishop. The knight pinned by the dark square bishop can be reinforced by Black's dark square bishop. In all the lines I have tried, the best I come down to is an opposite square bishop endgame with white having two disjoint pass pawns and black having one.

ChesswithNickolay

Taking the knight on d6 is what first comes to mind.

Avinash1206

I think bg7 is the best move for black.

Edit: My apologies, I meant bf7

JamesColeman
Avinash1206 wrote:

I think bg7 is the best move for black.

Not legal.

tygxc

...Bxd6 is necessary in view of the threat Ne4 winning Nf6.
After that a draw is inevitable.

Avinash1206

I found another move, Be1.

This would allow black to support the knight after Ne8 or Ne4 with Bxh4. If Ng3, then Bf7.

From here, if Ne4, Bxg3.

EvinSung
Avinash1206 wrote:

This would allow black to support the knight after Ne8 or Ne4 with Bxh4. If Ng3, then Bf7.

From here, if Ne4, Bxg3.

ne8

Avinash1206

@EvinSung Could you elaborate?

many_hanging_pieces
Avinash1206 wrote:

From here, if Ne4, Bxg3.

Be1 loses on the spot due to Ne8+ (did you notice this move came with check) and Black will lose their knight after Nxf6.

Bxd6 will likely lead to a draw due to the presence of opposite coloured bishops.

Avinash1206

My bad... Didn't notice the check.

Avinash1206

What about Ba5 then Be1

Avinash1206

What about Ba5 followed by Be7 if Ne4 or Be1 if Ng3

pfren

I would probably try 1..Kg8, which seems safe enough, to tempt white taking at f6.

However, a good player wouldn't comply of course, and it seems that I have to take on d6 sooner or later, after which a draw is almost inevitable.