Forums

Difficult Position.

Sort:
Zalvager

This is from a real game I played on an external site. White to move.

What would you do?

HenryWS

Hmm. I'd probably play 1. Qa4 to a) maintain defense on the d pawn, b) to avoid the incoming 1... exd4 2. Bxd4 Rxe1! lines

Zalvager
HenryWS stem

Hmm. I'd probably play 1. Qa4 to a) maintain defense on the d pawn, b) to avoid the incoming 1... exd4 2. Bxd4 Rxe1! lines

I looked at the problem for two hours (correspondence match) before I found the move pawn b4. I can't explain it through a message, but after playing with a lot of different variations on my Walnut wood-board, it was the best long term-move I could find. 

x-5058622868

Doesn't b4 just give up the d-pawn? 1...exd4, and i don't think white can recapture since 2. Bxd4 Rxe1+ wins a piece. (3. Qxe1 Bxd4)

Edit: I'd consider playing d5.

ezone

I would also play d5!

shoopi

1. Qa4 does look better since if 1. d5 1... e4 seems to be annoying.

somenon1987

for me, d5 is the best move. you'll have more tempo with that move if your opponent will not exchange it. If he exchange it, then, your queen would be in great position.

somenon1987

you'll have sharp bishops too

timon4321

At first sight it seems that 1.d5 opens diagonal quite dangerous after 2 ... e4 3.Bg4 Bxb2 and takes then in a3. But it is not clear Slshachor advantage that White has d6 strangling the Queen. Position is quite complicated, and it seems that in every case the white pawn lose or losing the lead position.

dzikus

I would play 1.d5 and if 1...e4 then 2.d6 to cramp black's position

1.Qa4 ed4 2.Bxd4 Bxd4 3.Qxd4 Ne5 would be rather annoying. Black trades minor pieces and the resulting endgame is rather drawish

1.d5 keeps tension and increases white's space advantage. After d6 white has a strong passer which restricts black pieces

StampNut

d5 definitely looks to be the best move.

TetsuoShima
shoopi wrote:

you are the guy that brings up the extremly difficult puzzles and here you just name 2 moves.

Im highly dissapointed i thought you would be the guy that uncovers all the secrets of the position.

BigDoggProblem
TetsuoShima wrote:
shoopi wrote:

you are the guy that brings up the extremly difficult puzzles and here you just name 2 moves.

Im highly dissapointed i thought you would be the guy that uncovers all the secrets of the position.

It is a very different thing to compose a problem vs. analyzing a position from a game.

shoopi
TetsuoShima wrote:
shoopi wrote:

I was wrong. Here, let me name 3 moves...

1. d5 1... e4 2. d6 is the best continuation for white, giving him a slight edge.

Next time, I will try to uncover all the secrets before commenting, silly me! Smile

somenon1987

to: Timon4321

when black moved e4 after white pawn pushed on d5, he should push the pawn all the way to d6.. with that, there's a probability that you can isolate black's queen. if b2 is concerning you, that's fine.. you can have good position in exchange of it. plus, Be2 is the best position for the bishop, targeting a6 if black queen moved there..by Rb1 after black bishop X b2.

timon4321
somenon1987 wrote:

to: Timon4321

when black moved e4 after white pawn pushed on d5, he should push the pawn all the way to d6.. with that, there's a probability that you can isolate black's queen. if b2 is concerning you, that's fine.. you can have good position in exchange of it. plus, Be2 is the best position for the bishop, targeting a6 if black queen moved there..by Rb1 after black bishop X b2.

Despite what you said, I do not think I would be happy to play this position as I am white ... Smile