Forums

Longest checkmate problem-290 move

Sort:
BigDoggProblem
Remellion wrote:

Promoted from the only missing pawn, the black one?

That was back when promotion rules weren't that strict. ;)

GSHAPIROY

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 290 MOVES?!

GSHAPIROY
BigDoggProblem wrote:
metehand wrote:
Rick56 wrote:

@Caliphigia, 3 years later, white has 8 pawns but only has two bishops. This wouldn't be the reason for an illegal position, being that black does have 3 bishops, but only 7 pawns. PS, good calculations.

Dude, two white bishops are on the same colored squares.

Dude, one of them is promoted. :P

Then why does white have 8 pawns? White can't have two bishops on the same colored squares and 8 pawns at the same time. This is an illegal position.

metehand
GSHAPIROY wrote:
BigDoggProblem wrote:
metehand wrote:
Rick56 wrote:

@Caliphigia, 3 years later, white has 8 pawns but only has two bishops. This wouldn't be the reason for an illegal position, being that black does have 3 bishops, but only 7 pawns. PS, good calculations.

Dude, two white bishops are on the same colored squares.

Dude, one of them is promoted. :P

Then why does white have 8 pawns? White can't have two bishops on the same colored squares and 8 pawns at the same time. This is an illegal position.

Thank you. Finally a smart chess player...

Fredrik_W

Don't move until you see it ;)

Rick56

Dope.

PlatinumBullet

very longggg

VULPES_VULPES

Why does the white king have to move all the way to e3 instead of just jumping between a3 and b3?

InsanePlayer99
VULPES_VULPES wrote:

Why does the white king have to move all the way to e3 instead of just jumping between a3 and b3?

Yeah that's what I don't get...

VULPES_VULPES

@doduobird123

Wow... *facepalm* I meant a6 and b6

PhoenixTTD

easy....2nd page

InsanePlayer99

If he just wanted it to be longer, why not put more pawns on the h-file? 

Remellion

a6 is covered by the knight.

The king is needed on d3 to threaten the e3-pawn so black can't move his bishop to d4-f6-h8 to mirror white's tempo-losing rook moves.

VULPES_VULPES
Remellion wrote:

The king is needed on d3 to threaten the e3-pawn so black can't move his bishop to d4-f6-h8 to mirror white's tempo-losing rook moves.

sorry, I meant a5, then.

didiz1016

can anyone remeber all the moves 0-0

Remellion
VULPES_VULPES wrote:
Remellion wrote:

sorry, I meant a5, then.

b5 is covered by the pawn on c6. In any case, the king is needed on d3 for the reason I mentioned.

Also, if you look at the "safe squares" for white's king, there is a long one-square-wide corridor he can step through, namely b6-a5-a4-a3-a2-b1-c2-d3(-e4), none of which give him the chance to triangulate to lose a step, so he must park himself on d3 while his loyal rook does the job.

DefinitelyNotGM
BigDoggProblem wrote:
Remellion wrote:

Yes, you could promote to an opponent's piece, but black had two bishops on the same colour squares as well.

F0T0T0

extra long triangulation like a gajillion times??

Remellion

How about 5. Rxd2!+ exd2 6. e4 d1=B!! 7. e5#! (White is not confused by black's epic promotion.) Yes I have a sense of humour, deal with it.

BigDoggProblem

That's what happens when you promote the Siamese pawn.

" DefinitelyNotGM wrote:

BigDoggProblem wrote:

Remellion wrote:

Yes, you could promote to an opponent's piece, but black had two bishops on the same colour squares as well.

"