Forums

mate in two(539)

Sort:
sameez1

White in two       by  H.V. Tuxen   1919

ashk224
Re7
sameez1

That is the correct key,but with all the great answers to that key that still leaves a mate move,the answer leaves the puzzle wanting.

Arisktotle

Actually, the culture amongst problemists is to require only the key move for #2 problems. The explanation is in your own observation that there are so many great answers to the key. What does it mean to get just one of them? Note that the wrong key also has many answers with correct mates in 1. The difference between the right key and the wrong key is only that the wrong one fails on or more of refutations. Therefore, showing one right variation proofs nothing,

So there are only 2 ways about this. You either demand a list of all relevant replies + mates, or you are happy with just the key move.

By the way, though it is not common, you might require someone to respond with all tries in addition to the key move plus the moves which refute all the tries! A try is defined as an attempted solution move refuted by exactly one reply.

sameez1

I know,I was just saying how it left me feeling on that puzzle.I almost wish there was people guessing wrong lol. to get it out.Hey I am glad people are solving them I will post more.

Arisktotle
sameez1 wrote:

I know,I was just saying how it left me feeling on that puzzle.I almost wish there was people guessing wrong lol. to get it out.Hey I am glad people are solving them I will post more.

If you post them as puzzles, you can force the solver at least to answer to 1 black defense, the one you consider most challenging. At some time, a puzzle interface will be made which lets you run through any number of variations and tries before it acknowledges your solution. I currently know of one interface (not on chess.com) which counters with a random defensive move but that is insufficient.

sameez1

Don't miss 532.