Chess - Play & Learn


FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store


What is this Mate Called

  • #1
    What is this Mate Called. Thanks
  • #2

    smothered mate :)

  • #3

    As Vinedrinker says, it's a smothered mate. I think this particular one is sometimes called Philidor's Mate, or Philidor's Legacy.

  • #4

    welcome to earth.

  • #5

    I'm not sure, but is this also a venus fly trap mating net, resulting in a smothered mate?

  • #6

    This is a smothered mate

  • #7

    Thanks lads, I thought it was a smothered mate but that it had a particular name like some mates such as Lollis mate or arabian mate.

  • #8

    Yep, smothered mate or Philidor's legacy, first featured in a book by Lucena in 1497!

  • #9

    It is called a smothered mate, or, if you please, Plilidor's legacy

  • #10

    The scolar's mate is quite simaliar in some ways:

  • #11

    Uhh...not at all.

  • #12

    here is a really longmate

  • #13

    smoothered mate


Online Now