Forums

Witty problems!

Sort:
Turm_Breuberg

Turm_Breuberg

Did anyone try to solve yet? Smile

Or are they too simple for you experts?

SisypheanLife

Both are good the second one I ot easily but the first one I got all the moves except castling there's no indication to shpw that there's castling. But nice and witty.Smile Did you make them yourself?

Turm_Breuberg

No, I just posted them.
OK, let us have another one:

SisypheanLife

Turm, can you explain the puzzle as why white and blackplay those moves I just can't seem to get it.

Turm_Breuberg

The first move by white is a very strong mating threat in 2.

Black cannot defend, but he can threaten a perpetual with the rook because of stalemate ideas.

White can only make progress by defending the perpetual threats.

If he could play Pg4-g3, he would succeed immediately. But unfortunately, pawns must not move backwards. Therefore white has to go all way to g8 and make a queen which is kind of a pawn that CAN move backwards. Tongue out That is the actual joke of this problem.

The last moves are not completely thematic, but a slightly faster sideline.

SisypheanLife

Awesome puzzle. Post some more.

SisypheanLife

In the first puzzle after bxa6 why doesn't black king take the pawn?

Turm_Breuberg
Sutirtha11 wrote:

In the first puzzle after bxa6 why doesn't black king take the pawn?

Going for stalemate is black's only chance to play for a draw. If Kxa6, there is nothing black can do after Ba3. White will simply play Nc3 next and win. With Ka8 however, there is the trick Rxb1+ and white cannot capture because of Rf1+ and stalemate. Therefore the double switchback Bc1 and Rb8 is forced, after which white can finally play Bb2. (With the knight on b1, Bb2 is mate after Rbf8 and Rf1#) 
So the joke in this problem is how to remove the Nb1 to allow castling.

Turm_Breuberg

Next one. White to play and win!