Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
trysts
jesterville wrote:

Hi trysts,

This is by far the best topic on this site...of course, being a movie lover I am more than a tad biased. LOL

Here are a few I've seen recently, and loved.

1. The Magic of Belle Isle

2. War Horse

3. The Artist

4. Perfume- The Storey of a Murderer

...and a few great documentaries are-

5. Too Big To Fail

6. Stephen Hawkings-The Grand Design 1-3 (3 parts)

7. Chasing Madoff

Hi jesterville! Thank you, I have not heard of the Stephen Hawking documentarySmile

jesterville

The Steven Hawkings doc is a three part that was aired on the Discovery Channel...a must see for those cosmic lovers like myself. You can download this for free on "Pirate Bay"...just make sure you have a peer blocker programme running to hide your IP Address.

trysts
jesterville wrote:

The Steven Hawkings doc is a three part that was aired on the Discovery Channel...a must see for those cosmic lovers like myself. You can download this for free on "Pirate Bay"...just make sure you have a peer blocker programme running to hide your IP Address.

I could get in trouble for downloading it alone?

jesterville

...the laws in the US are a lot stricker, and more enforced than even here in Canada. Currently, only the big movie producers/distributers would track downloads of their movies and threathen legal action, so personally, I would not be too worried about these docs, but downloading especially current movies playing in the cinemas like The Dark Knight, or The Avengers (blockbusters) will certainly have trackers on them. Legally however, they would normally need to contact you and request that you stop downloading and erase what you have already (and some of my friends have received these e-mails), but I have not heard of anyone actually been sued over downloading movies. The safe rule of thumb is only download movies after they have been released on DVD and already played in the cinemas for some time (this way, the Distributers have already made their money, and will then stop tracking the downloads). 

corrijean
trysts wrote:

I don't mean to interupt y'alls fascination with "rosebud"(), but there's something else I find interesting about the lists. Is "Citizen Kane" Orson Wells' best film? Is "2001: a space odyssey" Kubrick's best? Is "Vertigo" Hitchcock's best? Is Ozu's "Tokyo Story" his best film? Is "Taxi Driver" Scorsese's best? Et Cetera.

I actually like "The Magnificent Ambersons" a bit more than  "Citizen Kane". Maybe "Dr. Strangelove", or "Paths of Glory" is better than "2001"?  "Notorious", or "Rear Window" may be better than "Vertigo". I definitely like "The age of innocence" more than "Taxi Driver". I like Tarkovsky's "Solaris" over his "Andrei Rublev". "L' avventura" is my third favorite Antonioni film. I think I like Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard" as much as "Some like it Hot". Et Cetera. So, for me, those lists led me to great directors whose works are so rich that their best films may not be represented. 

Just a thought

I, too, like The Magnificent Ambersons better than Citizen Kane. Some of the set pieces (including the main staircase) were re-used in Val Lewton's films.

I think Sunset Boulevard is a lot better than Some Like It Hot. 

I haven't seen enough of Kubrick's movies for me to firmly say which I think is the best. 

trysts

@jesterville: Thank you for the informationSmile

@corrijean: I remember reading that you liked Val Lewton! How do you feel about Hitchcock's "Vertigo" over his other films?

corrijean

I like Vertigo, but I some of his other films were better IMO. 

I really like Rear Window and Dial M for Murder. Psycho was the most intense one.

North by Northwest and To Catch a Theif were two others I enjoyed a lot.

A lot of the others I've watched more than once. I've only seen Vertigo one time.

After reviewing the list of films he made, I'm amazed at how many I have left to watch. Laughing

corrijean
jesterville wrote:

I saw the documentary. I'm a fan of Stephen Hawking's books, so I was naturally interested in the documentary.

trysts

I highly recommend "Notorious"(1946), corrijean! Wink

IQ_Lackov

One I forgot to mention yesterday was Battle Royale - which The Hunger Games seems to have used as its inspiration.

corrijean

This is a good short movie that goldendog recommended to me. It was filmed in a style designed to look contemporary with the release of the original story:

http://www.hulu.com/the-call-of-cthulhu

corrijean
trysts wrote:

I highly recommend "Notorious"(1946), corrijean! 

Thanks! I have all of Hitchcock's movies that I was able to find and that I haven't yet seen in my movie queue. The only problem is that I have so many movies in there that it takes a while to watch them all. 

bigpoison

My brother has a t shirt that says something like, "Cthulu '12  Why vote for a lesser evil?"

corrijean
bigpoison wrote:

My brother has a t shirt that says something like, "Cthulu '12  Why vote for a lesser evil?"

That is officially the best campaign slogan I've heard. Laughing

blake78613

My favorite Otto Preminger movie is Anatomy of a Murder.  It is one of those rare cases where the movie is much better than the book.  One of the neat suprises of the movie was Joseph Welch as the Judge.  Welch won fame as the attorney for the Army in the Army - McCarthy hearnings.   The following clip is of Welch in action in an encounter which many feel was the beginning of the downfall of McCarthy.

corrijean
blake78613 wrote:

My favorite Otto Preminger movie is Anatomy of a Murder.  It is one of those rare cases where the movie is much better than the book.  One of the neat suprises of the movie was Joseph Welch as the Judge.  Welch won fame as the attorney for the Army in the Army - McCarthy hearnings.   The following clip is of Welch in action in an encounter which many feel was the beginning of the downfall of McCarthy.

I've seen that movie. I liked it a lot.

onthehouse

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) is a movie worth watching.  A dramatic story of love and revenge.

onthehouse

O Brother Where Art Thou is a fun comedy.

onthehouse

The HBO series Band of Brothers is worth watching at least once every couple of years.

onthehouse

A good chic flick with Keira Knightley and Donald Sutherland is Pride and Prejudice.

This forum topic has been locked