Forums

Chess.com Email - no more?

Sort:
LaoTzuMindFu

I was wondering, when I upgraded my membership, the Premium membership page indicated that a chess.com email would be included.  I have been unable to find in my profile where I can set this up.  

Was this discontinued recently?  If its no longer available, no big deal, but I was just curious.  

philidorposition

click on "HOME" on the right of the  green menu bar above: http://www.chess.com/home/

you should see the "email" link on the left top, below "profile" and "messages."

ChessisGood

It seems like they are trying to "faze it out."

LaoTzuMindFu
philidor_position wrote:

click on "HOME" on the right of the  green menu bar above: http://www.chess.com/home/

you should see the "email" link on the left top, below "profile" and "messages."

It's not there.  Guess they did discontinue it.  Bummer.  

Metastable
LaoTzuMindFu wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

It's not there.  Guess they did discontinue it.  Bummer.  

That's odd - it shows up there for me just fine. But that's only the link to read your email, not to create it. Maybe it doesn't show up if you haven't yet created your email address - I don't think it happens automatically; you need to define it by editing your profile.

arborvitian

Yes, apparently so.  It's no longer listed on the "benefits of membership" page either.

I never set mine up, but I find it annoying when pay sites remove things that are listed as paid benefits.  "Upgrade to top tier, get more storage.  Well, unless we decide to pull the plug on chess.com emails without notifying anyone.  We can do whatever we want.  We're site gods.  Bwa ha ha ha."

I guess the new Chess.com motto should be "Invest with confidence; confidence that whatever you invest in is subject to change at the mercy of our whims without warning."

philidorposition

Perhaps you haven't configured it yet. You can do that on your "profile" page or by simply clicking on this link:

http://www.chess.com/home/edit_profile.html

you should see a "chess.com e-mail" box in there.

arborvitian

To be perfectly clear, the edit profile page used to have a spot where you could establish your Chess.com email address, and the membership page used to list a Chess.com POP3 account among the benefits of premium membership, with higher storage options available to higher tiers of membership.

As of today, there is no longer any way to establish a Chess.com email address, and email is no longer listed among the benefits of premium membership at all.  They have clearly dropped this feature.

This isn't a huge issue to me, since I didn't have any particular use for the Chess.com email account in the first place, but I do find it extremely troubling that they feel free to remove features on a whim without notifying users of the changes.  They dropped that site redesign bomb on us with no warning, they removed email accounts for new/unestablished users with no warning, and they just go on and on with this kind of behavior.

I do not feel like membership here is a secure investment, since what you like and pay for today is very much subject to disappear or change with no warning.  There is no real choice in this any more than there is choice in accepting the new terms that come along with some altered credit card agreement, but at least whenever a bank changes the terms on an agreement they have to mail you a letter and give you the option to close the account if you don't accept the new terms.  Chess.com should send out written notification of upcoming changes, and give users the option to opt out and collect a full refund of whatever balance they have remaining.  By not doing that, I feel like Chess.com is just pissing all over me, and I don't like it at all.

adamredsox24

i have it sent to my blackberry i dont check my online email.

eugene_p_needlemeyer

Kinda funny if some premium members have it and some do not. I mean, if someone pays the same amount they should expect the same features, no? Oh well, no big deal. Email addresses grow on trees. However, the lack of communication from the site is a little concerning though.