Forums

Option to Download All Games?

Sort:
Narz

PGN files are tiny, even 100,000 chess games are smaller in size & quicker to download that a 2-hour movie & it's not like people are going to be constantly downloading their full library.  I can understand disabling this feature for non-paying members but paying members should be able to download their games.  It's not very honorable of chess.com to remove this option without even mentioning it or warning premeium members that this feature will no longer be available after X-date.

It'd be nice to get a response from staff on this thread.

EricFleet
Narz wrote:

PGN files are tiny, even 100,000 chess games are smaller in size & quicker to download that a 2-hour movie & it's not like people are going to be constantly downloading their full library.  I can understand disabling this feature for non-paying members but paying members should be able to download their games.  It's not very honorable of chess.com to remove this option without even mentioning it or warning premeium members that this feature will no longer be available after X-date.

It'd be nice to get a response from staff on this thread.

My guess is that it isn't a bandwidth issue, but a massive database hit and processor power to generate the PGN.

But yes, a response would be nice.

sisu

Let's make it happen!

Ziryab

I don't want all my games. I want all my turn-based (online) games, and all my blitz games. Bullet is not worth downloading.

Even so, If I could get all the games, I could sort by rating in ChessBase and eliminate the bullet before transfering the games into my database of online games.

I can download 50 games at a time. Sometimes the email arrives withing a seconds. Sometimes it takes many hours. 

EricFleet
Ziryab wrote:

I don't want all my games. I want all my turn-based (online) games, and all my blitz games. Bullet is not worth downloading.

Even so, If I could get all the games, I could sort by rating in ChessBase and eliminate the bullet before transfering the games into my database of online games.

I can download 50 games at a time. Sometimes the email arrives withing a seconds. Sometimes it takes many hours. 

Before the "upgrade" you would have been able to do this as well. you could choose the filters, click 'select all', then download all your games under that filter. Now no matter what you just get the first page or whatever page you are on.

Ziryab
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

Before the "upgrade" you would have been able to do this as well. you could choose the filters, click 'select all', then download all your games under that filter. Now no matter what you just get the first page or whatever page you are on.

Select all is still there, and works as it did before: 50 games.

EricFleet
Ziryab wrote:
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

There used to be an option to get every game. There were several times where I had grabbed every game in my collection.

Ziryab
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

There used to be an option to get every game. There were several times where I had grabbed every game in my collection.

Yes. I used it once. The file was huge, but as it contained my bullet games, required lots of work to be useful.

I, too, would like it restored. But, I would prefer that it be improved and then restored: make it possible to download all games of any type (live-blitz, for instance).

EricFleet
Ziryab wrote:
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
EricFleet wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

Yes. I used it once. The file was huge, but as it contained my bullet games, required lots of work to be useful.

I, too, would like it restored. But, I would prefer that it be improved and then restored: make it possible to download all games of any type (live-blitz, for instance).

Okay, I think I originally misunderstood your statement... I think I understand now.

Alchemos2011

I contacted Support about this - "massive stress" to the server was given as reason.

Useful feature for me, disappointed it has gone. (Blitz, even bullet, whilst not worth 'analysing' as such are still useful for working out responses to off-beat opening moves and so on)

My feedback has been taken on board and will be discussed when next site changes are being taken into account but will look elsewhere for somewhere that does offer this.

MrEnigma

please return this feature chess.com!

x73ar

totally agree with you guys: STAFF SHOULD RETURN THIS FEATURE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (paying members at least)

Narz

bump!

Ziryab

Is that a speed bump or a bump on the head?

MasterGrant137

There isn't even a view all on the new Chess.com for viewing archives (unlike the old website). This leaves me with the ability to only view a few days past. I don't have thousands of games and I'm a premium member AND I've viewed it on the old website so I don't know what the issue is.