Forums

6 yr old at 1100

Sort:
jayden87

My son in kindergarten has earned an 1100 rating. I tend to think that this is not that unusual, but maybe i should try to get him some lessons? Can anyone with experience out there tell me if they think this is unusual and how I should help him along if it is. I can't really teach him myself because i dont play that often and he's probably better then me.

Thanks

Grouper78

Good, I congratulate him.  In what rating pool did he get his 1100 rating?  USCF?  FIDE?  Some local or scholastic group? 

AndyClifton

Yeah, that's good (if it's USCF).  Do you really want a little chessplaying maniac for a kid though?  It's up to you.

Kens_Mom

Since you're already a premium member, you might want to let your son try out the chess mentor here on this site before committing to hiring a coach/tutor.

goldendog

someone tell woodie about this thread!

jayden87

This is his account. He earned the rating playing the chess.com live chess 15 minute board. I'm not sure how that translates to uscf, if at all.

I tried the chess mentor on the site ,but he can't really read. So we look at it together but he's not that focused.

I don't know if I want the chess playing maniac you speak of, but I don't know that I really have a choice. I just look for interests and try to fertilize them... That's my job as a parent.