Forums

Chess 960 is useful for beginning chess students

Sort:
evert823

I’ve been teaching a young kid for some time now. He likes to rearrange the pieces at the beginning, which is essentially chess-960 (or Fischer Random chess). We also talk about developing pieces.

Since there are more initial positions, developing pieces must be re-thought each game. This prevents the endless repetition of the same opening moves and attempts for scholar’s mate.

So my thought is that chess 960 is very useful for starters even if in the end the goal is to learn ‘normal’ chess.

Does anyone else agree or perhaps disagree?

waffllemaster

Bringing all the pieces out but they try cheesy 1 move threats (like scholars mate) -- Good.

Bringing all their pieces out but unique arrangement on back rank causes them to try something different -- Better.

Bringing all their pieces out from traditional starting position into a standard middlegame (ruy, french, silician, QGD, etc) -- Best.

dpcarballo

Wafflemaster, you are completely wrong. Under 1600 FIDE players simply can't understand what's going on on that positions. Some time ago, I had a big discussion with a trainer that did not allow his kids to play 1.d4 d5 2.Nc3 and could not really explain them why that move was so bad.

Fischer random chess is a quite interesting way to improve. Learning theorical position is not 1% as important as learning to think for yourself

dpcarballo

1 move threats are the base of kids' chess. They're simply unable to understand/take profit form positional small advantages