comprehensive pawn- structure- chess book(s)

fischerrook

I think Small Steps to Giant Improvement: Master Pawn Play in Chess by Sam Shankland would be helpful. He is usually clear and concise with anything he explains. 

 

joseph1000000
fischerrook wrote:

I think Small Steps to Giant Improvement: Master Pawn Play in Chess by Sam Shankland would be helpful. He is usually clear and concise with anything he explains. 

 

 

Thank you for your contribution.  Could you  us tell how many formations he covers? Does he explains all plans for each formation clearly. Does he gives examples?  Whatever you can tell about the book please.  This is the first time someone mentioned his book so far as I remember. 

joseph1000000
zeitnotakrobat wrote:

A nice book is by Baburin "Winning pawn structures", BUT this is only about the isolated queen pawn and the structures this can lead to, like hanging pawns and so on. Unfortunately it is out of print as far as I know...

 

I have been thinking of I. Q. P.  as one pawn without support of any other until I started to read the  book by A.  Solltis about pawn structure. Then I realized that it is a formation and not just an isolated pawn.  

Is this only one formation or there are more than one formation? I have to say I made a fast review of the book after reading first few chapters. So I am going back to the beginning and read carefully. 

Tell us if you can more about the book by Natural, please. 

PawnstormPossie
joseph1000000 wrote:
zeitnotakrobat wrote:

A nice book is by Baburin "Winning pawn structures", BUT this is only about the isolated queen pawn and the structures this can lead to, like hanging pawns and so on. Unfortunately it is out of print as far as I know...

 

I have been thinking of I. Q. P.  as one pawn without support of any other until I started to read the  book by A.  Solltis about pawn structure. Then I realized that it is a formation and not just an isolated pawn.  

Is this only one formation or there are more than one formation? I have to say I made a fast review of the book after reading first few chapters. So I am going back to the beginning and read carefully. 

Tell us if you can more about the book by Natural, please. 

If I'm not mistaken, the words formation and structure are basically the same.

IQP (isolani) is one formation (aka structure) as there are several more. 

I hope this clears the confusion.

OldPatzerMike

Joseph, the IQP is a very important basic structure. Soltis, if I recall correctly, includes it in the Queen's Gambit family, though it can also arise in many other openings. You can see in Soltis what it typically looks like. It can lead to other structures, as mentioned by @zeitnotakrobat, such as these:

 

Another fairly typical structure resulting from the IQP is this:

 

Those are the main transformations from the IQP. And I agree with @PawnstormPossie that "structure" and "formation" are used interchangeably.

joseph1000000

Damn smart phones suggesting any word they Wish!

Edit: last line:  natural must be B. A. B. U. R. I. N.  As the name of writer of the mentioned book. 

joseph1000000

Dear pawnstormpossie and Mike: You are correct about formation and structure beingvthe same.  I just ran my imagination wild and allowed for the I. Q. P.  To possibly be a family of formations with a lone isolated queen pawn in common between them.That's not the case obviously. 

My reading pawn structure chess has been delayed. But thank you for trying  to clarify the post do patiently both of you. 

joseph1000000
OldPatzerMike wrote:

Joseph, the IQP is a very important basic structure. Soltis, if I recall correctly, includes it in the Queen's Gambit family, though it can also arise in many other openings. You can see in Soltis what it typically looks like. It can lead to other structures, as mentioned by @zeitnotakrobat, such as these:

 

Another fairly typical structure resulting from the IQP is this:

 

Those are the main transformations from the IQP. And I agree with @PawnstormPossie that "structure" and "formation" are used interchangeably.

 

I did not indicate formation and structure are not the same.  You are correct on that one.

My phone does not upload pictures clearly,  but I will look at what you have sent me and make a new post. Meanwhile thank you. 

joseph1000000
OldPatzerMike wrote:

Joseph, the IQP is a very important basic structure. Soltis, if I recall correctly, includes it in the Queen's Gambit family, though it can also arise in many other openings. You can see in Soltis what it typically looks like. It can lead to other structures, as mentioned by @zeitnotakrobat, such as these:

 

Another fairly typical structure resulting from the IQP is this:

 

Those are the main transformations from the IQP. And I agree with @PawnstormPossie that "structure" and "formation" are used interchangeably.

 

Hello Mike,

As I said before I assumed Isolani might include sub-structures which is only true a little, it (or I.Q.P. if i'm not mistaken) transforms into other formations. Thank you for the info. again.

I am planning on going back to the Soltis' book soon.  These transformations could happen in any structure as exchanges happen all over, I assume?

OldPatzerMike
joseph1000000 wrote:

As I said before I assumed Isolani might include sub-structures which is only true a little, it (or I.Q.P. if i'm not mistaken) transforms into other formations. Thank you for the info. again.

I am planning on going back to the Soltis' book soon.  These transformations could happen in any structure as exchanges happen all over, I assume?

Yes, structure transformations can occur with pawn advances and exchanges. You'll see a lot of that in Soltis, especially in his chapters on the KID complex and the Ruy Lopez formation.

If you want to learn more about pawn structures after finishing Soltis, I recommend "Chess Structures: A Grandmaster Guide", by GM Mauricio Flores Rios. It's very well organized and discusses structure transformations much more than Soltis does. Even though Flores covers a lot of the same structures as Soltis, his book has a lot of independent value.

PawnstormPossie
joseph1000000 wrote:

 

Hello Mike,

As I said before I assumed Isolani might include sub-structures which is only true a little, it (or I.Q.P. if i'm not mistaken) transforms into other formations. Thank you for the info. again.

I am planning on going back to the Soltis' book soon.  These transformations could happen in any structure as exchanges happen all over, I assume?

Perhaps not "any" structure, but many.

And very different openings can lead to the same position.

The Nimzo-Indian section of Understanding the Chess Openings gives a great example of openings the IQP (isolani) can appear:

Nimzo-Indian  (of course)

Caro-Kann 

Sicilian (c3)

QGA

French Exchange

Giuoco Piano

and in reverse in:

French 

Tarrasch Defence  

 

The link to simplifychess, IMO, is very good coverage of many formations.

Edit- corrected website name

joseph1000000
OldPatzerMike wrote:
joseph1000000 wrote:

As I said before I assumed Isolani might include sub-structures which is only true a little, it (or I.Q.P. if i'm not mistaken) transforms into other formations. Thank you for the info. again.

I am planning on going back to the Soltis' book soon.  These transformations could happen in any structure as exchanges happen all over, I assume?

Yes, structure transformations can occur with pawn advances and exchanges. You'll see a lot of that in Soltis, especially in his chapters on the KID complex and the Ruy Lopez formation.

If you want to learn more about pawn structures after finishing Soltis, I recommend "Chess Structures: A Grandmaster Guide", by GM Mauricio Flores Rios. It's very well organized and discusses structure transformations much more than Soltis does. Even though Flores covers a lot of the same structures as Soltis, his book has a lot of independent value.


joseph1000000
PawnstormPossie wrote:
joseph1000000 wrote:

 

Hello Mike,

As I said before I assumed Isolani might include sub-structures which is only true a little, it (or I.Q.P. if i'm not mistaken) transforms into other formations. Thank you for the info. again.

I am planning on going back to the Soltis' book soon.  These transformations could happen in any structure as exchanges happen all over, I assume?

Perhaps not "any" structure, but many.

And very different openings can lead to the same position.

The Nimzo-Indian section of Understanding the Chess Openings gives a great example of openings the IQP (isolani) can appear:

Nimzo-Indian  (of course)

Caro-Kann 

Sicilian (c3)

QGA

French Exchange

Giuoco Piano

and in reverse in:

French 

Tarrasch Defence  

 

The link to simplifychess, IMO, is very good coverage of many formations.

Edit- corrected website name

 

Hello PawnstormPossie:

Last three lines need explaining. My interest is categories of Chess Theory.  I am sure you are familiar with many of those: Openings,  middle and endgames, positional chess,  tactics,  etc.  What I recommend is to introduce as many  of these categories as we can identify and find resources for them.  For example: There is a book about, if I am not mistaken,  Positional Imbalance or in general Positional Chess. There are books about Positional Sacrifice. 

You must have other suggestions that I do not know about. These are what interest me presently. 

joseph1000000

Of course i could set up another thread for this last topic that I brought up. 

There are many different ways to approach theoretical chess. A few of these are: Art of attack in chess,  visualisation,  combinations, . ..

I recently became more interested. So in a way I am new.  That and lack of practical experience limits what I can do. 

PawnstormPossie
joseph1000000 wrote:

 

Hello PawnstormPossie:

Last three lines need explaining. My interest is categories of Chess Theory.  I am sure you are familiar with many of those: Openings,  middle and endgames, positional chess,  tactics,  etc.  What I recommend is to introduce as many  of these categories as we can identify and find resources for them.  For example: There is a book about, if I am not mistaken,  Positional Imbalance or in general Positional Chess. There are books about Positional Sacrifice. 

You must have other suggestions that I do not know about. These are what interest me presently. 

Last three lines?

joseph1000000

Sorry for confusing you.  The last three lines refers to:

The link to simplifychess, IMO, is very good coverage of many formations.

Edit- corrected website name

 

I assume simplifychess. Com is a site? 

I. M. O stands for?

 

PawnstormPossie

Yes, link to site in a previous post

and IMO=In My Opinion