Forums

Please bring back the Beth Harmon bots

Sort:
JamieDelarosa

The Beth-bots were a lot of fun.  Why are they gone?

It is hard to argue that the site has not benefitted from the popularity of the NetFlix limited series, "The Queen's Gambit."  There are Forum topics discussing the TV series and how it motivated people to join the site and learn the game in earnest.

The Beth-bots were just part of the enthusiasm.

Soniasthetics

its probably a lot to do with the licensing and copyright problems. 

 

JamieDelarosa

As I recall, Sonia, there was a disclaimer, "Used by permission."

As I see it, it was a win-win-win situation for chess.com, NetFlix, and the Walter Tevis estate.  Everybody benefits from the popularity and tie-ins.

Too logical???

Soniasthetics

They wouldn't remove it for no reason, im sure there's a logistical concern that had to be met.

 

LegendarySpartan

It's a  sad  fact.

Magnus_Chase19
Soniasthetics wrote:

its probably a lot to do with the licensing and copyright problems. 

 

 

Martin_Stahl
JamieDelarosa wrote:

As I recall, Sonia, there was a disclaimer, "Used by permission."

As I see it, it was a win-win-win situation for chess.com, NetFlix, and the Walter Tevis estate.  Everybody benefits from the popularity and tie-ins.

Too logical???

 

The site apparently had a limited time license to use the character and likeness. I'm sure the site could probably negotiate the continued use, but it might not be financially feasible.

JamieDelarosa

Martin, the site is still getting traffic related to the series, at least according to the comments I have read in the Forums.

The Beth Harmon "likeness" is related only to the series.  Beth was not a redhead in the novel.

I have read some of the Queen's Gambit fanfictions posted to several internet sites.  To my knowledge neither NetFlix or the Tevis estate have taken any action against those.  I have also seen Beth Harmon fanart on a popular site.  It seems to me that a Harmon-like bot could be employed in goods faith.  Maybe, "Leeza" or "Lisabetta" as the Russians called her.

The Beth character has been a boon and an inspiration to women in chess.

Martin_Stahl
JamieDelarosa wrote:

Martin, the site is still getting traffic related to the series, at least according to the comments I have read in the Forums.

The Beth Harmon "likeness" is related only to the series.  Beth was not a redhead in the novel.

I have read some of the Queen's Gambit fanfictions posted to several internet sites.  To my knowledge neither NetFlix or the Tevis estate have taken any action against those.  I have also seen Beth Harmon fanart on a popular site.  It seems to me that a Harmon-like bot could be employed in goods faith.  Maybe, "Leeza" or "Lisabetta" as the Russians called her.

The Beth character has been a boon and an inspiration to women in chess.

 

Fanfiction isn't a for profit enterprise, as far as I'm aware. As to the likeness, the site used the show as its model and they absolutely would need to have a license to keep the bots.

 

I have no idea if the site looked into trying to keep them, but I have no doubt there would be a financial outlay required. Putting on my imagination hat, I'm guessing there may have been some kind of discussion or something in the original licensing agreement that spelled out what those costs would be, and it was decided that it wasn't financially feasible to maintain.

JamieDelarosa

That's too bad.  I can play the Danny-bot only so many times :'(

Martin-J

I suppose Beth Harmon had her day, people have seen the series on Netflix and have taken up chess or they have not. If Chess.com had to pay to use the image they have probably had to take into account the law of diminishing returns; it did it's job and now it's too expensive to continue,

psychohist

They ought to be able to renegotiate.  I watched the series because of the bots; given that a video series is more ephemeral than a game like chess, I'd think it would be to netflix's advantage to have the bots here at this point.

JamieDelarosa

Precisely

LegendarySpartan

Except, of course, they don't think and plan ahead for the long-term, do they?

MiSans454

i want beth bots back cry.png

boxerito

I miss the bots! PLEASE BRING BETH HARMON BACK!

JamieDelarosa

What is the licensing cost?  I am willing to contribute, beyond my membership.

GBTGBA

TBH I like only the actress who played Beth Harmon. I don’t really like the series. 

JamieDelarosa

It was a good portrayal.  Did you ever read the novella?

EscherehcsE

What was the name of that movie again? I've already forgotten it, lol.