Forums

Chess960 for Live Chess?

Sort:
Zen

Hi all!

So to me it seems like a natural next step (or one of them) in the development of live chess to implement the option to play Fischer Random (Chess960). There have been a few threads about this over time on the live chess forum, and it seems like there could be demand for this option in the community. In general one could argue that chess960 is more "suited" for live chess anyway - or at the very least not unsuitable for it at all.

It would be nice to hear from the staff what their view on this topic is and whether or not there are plans to implement Chess960 to live chess. Also, feel free to discuss this matter further here.

Thanks,

efour

Wizard_Chess97

Wow, it's surprising no one's responded... to bring this topic back up, I definitely support the idea. (And it would be a good time to do it too, when they are redesigning the site.) Smile

Kinch310

that'd be a great idea. gotta work it into mobile app too! 

egdodnoj

I've been going to chesscube.com to play live 960 but I don't like the site very much.  I too wish they would add it to chess.com

Zen

Glad to see there's at least some support for the idea! Still hoping for a staff response, maybe?

Picard89

I'm totally up for it, it'd be really nice to have chess 960 in live chess, and (hopefully) it shouldn't present many difficulties to be implemented (though that entirely depends on the current implementation of live chess).

egdodnoj
Picard89 wrote:

I'm totally up for it, it'd be really nice to have chess 960 in live chess, and (hopefully) it shouldn't present many difficulties to be implemented (though that entirely depends on the current implementation of live chess).

I wouldn't think I would be that hard to do either, and I would be much more interested in seeing added features and content to the site, as apposed to say a complete overhaul of the layout and graphics, which looks nice but ultimately adds nothing to the site.

kohai

It is being added, I don't have a time frame though sorry.

Picard89

Nice to know, thanks for the info kohai :)

Zen

Thanks for your reply, kohai.

dumbeaux

Great -- Live Chess960 is something I've wanted for a long time. Thank you.

homernh

Glad to hear it's coming, I look forward to it.  Will we be able to get a Computer Analysis of the Chess960 games?

Wizard_Chess97
homernh wrote:

Will we be able to get a Computer Analysis of the Chess960 games?

There would probably have to be a separate engine for all of the 960 possible starting positions, so it might be difficult to program.

homernh

Why?  The computer should be able to analyze the given positions, threats, and so on for the pieces on the board, period.  Right? 

Picard89

Well, chess engines usually use "opening books" for the start of the game, because their heuristics are usually not very good positionally (at least, not as good as GMs positional understanding), so they usually have trouble finding interesting play in the opening, but they should have no problem telling us if the tactics we use are right or not.

homernh

Hmmm... to me that's the best part of Chess 960, trying to find the weaknesses in the initial setup, and figure out how to take advantage of it.  (Versus just memorizing opening moves, but considering the thread I'm probably preaching to the choir.)  I would appreciate a computer analysis to let me know what I missed.  However, since the first few moves aren't likely to repeat themselves on a regular basis, I suppose computer analysis after say, move 5, would be better than nothing. 

yoervin

so, we can play chess960 in a later date but not now, right?

Zen
yoervin wrote:

so, we can play chess960 in a later date but not now, right?

What comes to live chess, yes.