Forums

Limit games played in Online Chess

Sort:
nexus6ca

There really should be controls on the maximum number of games played.  I am playing someone that has 2000 ongoing games at the same time. 

Leopoldz

wow!  Lol... but you know, some people take a lot of time to play, so I can understand!

nexus6ca

Its really crazy though at the amount he is playing - if he takes 10 seconds a move it will take him 7 hours to get through all his games.  If he were to take an avg of 1 minute per move it would take him 33 hours to go through them all.

TheGrobe

Maybe better would be to avoid players with too many ongoing games if it's a concern for you.

nexus6ca

Tournaments - how do they work?

TheGrobe

Filter by maximum average time per move for tournaments. Number of ongoing games should be irrelevant is you rely on that setting.

nexus6ca

I just think that it does more damage to the site then anything - the guy just lost on time to a couple of hundred games in a row.

ivandh

There are multiple ways to avoid this "damage" which have been outlined above.

StockfishEngine

there is too much chess being played here!

what?

jwh315
nexus6ca wrote:

I just think that it does more damage to the site then anything - the guy just lost on time to a couple of hundred games in a row.

I agree with you nexus, I am in a few tournaments with this same player.  He has now decided that 2000 games is too much, and is going to time out on all of his non vacation tournament games tonight or tomorrow sometime.  I imagine the 2nd round in well over 100 tournaments will be starting tonight or tomorrow when all of his games time out.  I know I will have 3 or 4 tournaments start up leaving me with more games then I would normally like to start at one time.  Not a huge deal, but it is kind of annoying. 

Knightvanguard

Isn't that like saying it is McDonald's fault for people being fat?  Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play that many games?  

This thread has got to be a troll's attempt to get something started.  Hey, if so, I just fell for it. 

jwh315
Crosspinner wrote:

Isn't that like saying it is McDonald's fault for people being fat?  Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play that many games?  

This thread has got to be a troll's attempt to get something started.  Hey, if so, I just fell for it. 

I don't think the OP is trolling, he is just suggesting a limit for online games.  There are plenty of examples in life where limits are imposed and we pay little attention because we are used to the limits being there.

I don't mind having tournaments being held up by this player with 2000 active games. I anticipate lengthy waits between turn based tournament rounds anyways.  I did not anticipate that a lot of the tournaments that I entered months ago would have 2nd rounds all starting at once because one player is timing out of 2000 games.  Its not a huge inconvenience, but I will say that once I became aware of this player I pay attention not to enter tournaments were he is registered.  That is difficult to do since he enters almost all of them.

ChessisGood

Why does it bother you that you are playing him?

jwh315

I don't mind playing against him, he is actually a really nice guy.  I just like to manage the number of active games i have going.  When you are in several different tournaments with him, and his games are holding up all these tournaments.  You know it is just a matter of time before he starts the mass timeout and all of your tournaments in waiting get activated all at once.  I imagine I will have a bunch more games start tonight and tomorrow then I would normally like to start at once.  Like I said, its not a huge deal for me, but I wouldn't have entered the tournaments I did if I realized all the 2nd rounds were going to start at the exact same time.