Forums

Resolved -OUT OF TIME

Sort:
fhwee

On October 10th, I was surprised when two of my games at Online chess concluded  with the verdict, "Out of Time"

The 1st game was with surreal86 ( 1429), who did not reply to my second move. He was representing "Five for Fighting" and I stood for "Nice Chess Home".

The 2nd game  was with ashoktheone(unrated). Both of us compete in the ASDEC series#1-Round 1. He did not respond to my first move.

As it was 3 days per move, both of them had ample time to respond. If they are not interested, then why participate of their own volition ???

Most of us know the difference between Online chess and Live chess. I  know  that at Live chess, the offending player will be penalised or have points deducted for this violation. But, why no action taken at Online chess ???

Could we have the same standards ???

NimzoRoy

You're credited with wins vs both players so whats the problem? The games weren't rated? If they were that's their "penalty" they lost rating pts. And should all "deadbeats" be automatically penalized - maybe they had something more important to do (although frankly I doubt it, but who knows why they quit)

You can suggest "the same standards" directly to the staff by clicking on Help & Support at the bottom of the page.

fhwee

The bone of contention was  that no points was awarded to me, and if I am the one "Out of Time", would the status quo remain ?? What are the minimum number of moves a player makes, before he quits the game; to have his points deducted ???

NimzoRoy

You weren't the one out of time, try looking the games up at your own homepage - and read this:

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/19/0/the-game-ended-and-my-rating-didnt-change-at-all-why

fhwee

NimzoRoy, thanks for the feedback. Unless the player is unrated, status quo remain, but in the case of surreal86, his rating is 1429 and he represents the group-"Five for Fighting", then points should be deducted according to the last paragraph of the said link.

NimzoRoy

We're getting to the limit (or past the limit) of my knowledge here. If you think something's amiss contact the staff directly via Help & Support

philidorposition

fhwee, the games that end before move 3 (or 4, maybe) are considered as aborted. That's why they aren't rated. I think this is because lots of people confuse online chess with live chess and leave the games after move 1 or 2 when they don't see an immediate response.

fhwee

To:- philidor_position,

Thanks so much for clearing the air.

NimzoRoy
philidor_position wrote:

fhwee, the games that end before move 3 (or 4, maybe) are considered as aborted. That's why they aren't rated. I think this is because lots of people confuse online chess with live chess and leave the games after move 1 or 2 when they don't see an immediate response.

I play a fair amt of online chess here and have rarely had the same problem, so IMHO it isn't "lots of people" who confuse CC with Live Chess but I guess anything is possible

fhwee

To:- NimzoRoy,

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to clarify and conclude

this issue.

Regards