please read the following situation and give me advice on what i should have done and how i should have handled it.
i was recently playing against someone in an online tournament. it was a theme tournament as well although i'm not sure if that's relevant. we were still in the first round and playing our first of 2 games against each other when the following happened.
after around 20 moves, my opponent wrote in the chat to me "draw both games?" (keep in mind that the second game had not started yet - it would start after the first was finished.) he sent the draw offer before i had a chance to respond. since i did not like my position in the game i decided to accept the draw, but i did so without any comment to my opponent. i agreed to nothing and simply accepted the draw ending the game.
when the second of 2 games began against this opponent, i began playing it like normal. after maybe 2 moves my opponent and i had the following conversation in chat:
opponent: second draw?me: why?opponent: i ask earlier on the first gameopponent: because it's my last gameme: i didn't like my position and accepted the draw. i don't agree to a draw in this game.
my opponent made no comments back and promptly resigned the game.
did i do anything wrong? did he do anything wrong? what's the best course of action in the situation? thanks.
i'm not trying to get anyone in trouble nor am i calling my opponent out for doing something wrong. just curious as to what i should have done.
Nah, you did nothing wrong. Games are supposed to be played, not drawn on move 1
I'm not sure if this sort of collusion is allowed, so I think he did something wrong by suggesting it. You're fine.
I would have written back declining his suggestion or offer so it was clear to him and then accepted the draw offer he gave for that game.
yeah, i think i may have been in the wrong accepting the draw without commenting on his question. although, he should have waited for an answer before offering a draw i believe. idk.
Nonsense, we are not dealing in contract law, we are playing chess. There is no provision in USCF rules, FIDE rules or Chess.com rules about conditional offers. You either offer draw and make your move, you make your move or you resign. No stipulaions are permitted and are irrelevant to any decision making on the part of the other player.
Maybe a little disingenuous, but I think the suggestion to collude was worse.
Certainly a mistake to extend the draw offer before having confirmation of your intentions.