Forums

Rybka is no longer strongest chess engine

Sort:
Gallows666

On the Aquarium platform, none of the Ippolit family of engines(firebird,ivanhoe,robbolito,iggorit) etc play more than 2 moves when the handicap is applied. The analysis just stops. Very funny. Naum and the other engines work fine with the handicap. Cyclone xtreme is also fine.

Now what is wrong with the ippolit family of engines? A serious bug eh?

How can the programmers be notified?

Gallows666

Well that was just in Aquarium I suppose. In Fritz12 GUI it yields to the force move button at least, but resigns within 3 or 4 moves. Laughing

bishp1965

I ran Robbolito 0085g3 against Deep Rybka 3.0.  I tried Robbolito 9, but it crashed in the first game after the book opening.  Based on the fact that I also saw 85g3 eventually crash once, I will give version 9 another try later.

Here are the results so far for two different blitz time controls with a standard narrow book, Intel Quad Q6600 at 2.4 GHz:

G5 - Rybka won +31=66-19, winning ~27% of the games.

G10 - Rybka won +12=18-4, winning ~35% of the games.

Though I want to see more games played a the longer time controls, it seems that Deep Rybka is stronger with more time.  Additionally I observed this version of Robbolito was continually in time trouble.  It did lose one game on the sparse side of an opposite-color-bishop-and-rook-pawn ending, where with 0 seconds showing on the clock was feverishly moving its king back and forth, eventually lost on time after many moves of Rybka avoiding repetition of position.  Clear draw which Rybka never saw. Frown The draw was clear with king on h8 and pawn on g6, just after Rybka took a knight on move 86.  Robbolito eventually "saw" the draw on move 133, losing on time on move 160.  Thank goodness for the invention of tablebases.

So, I also agree with those discussing the weak endgames these things still play.  I am amazed to see their "brilliance" in middlbe game combinations that I do not see from playing over most GMs games, but at the same time to see the miscalculations/misevaluation of relatively simple endgames.

I do have to say that I sit in amazement over some of the middle game combos where the computer evaluates to a significant material advantage that does not come to fruition for ten moves.  The ones I find most impressive are the ones where it makes a small sacrifice to get the big prize, but is not a forced set of moves.  In one instance I saw the computer make the sacrifice, followed by a series of "intermezzo" moves and then pick up the advantage later.  Even if I can't create beauty over the board, I can usually follow the logic of any GM games I review, so I find it interesting to see what these programs come up with, but still do not catch the theme early in the unfolding of events.

zxzyz

Robbolito 0085g3 should have beaten Rybka 1 core very badly ... what was your time control? Did you use 1 core for rybka?

If you use 4 cores try firebird or igorrit v7 or ivanhoe and make sure ponder =off

wilddog
[COMMENT DELETED]
wilddog

All you cave-men playing with your 1-cpu should come up to present time and  discover what is happening in the real world. RYBKA RULES http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/...

bishp1965
zxzyz wrote:

Robbolito 0085g3 should have beaten Rybka 1 core very badly ... what was your time control? Did you use 1 core for rybka?

If you use 4 cores try firebird or igorrit v7 or ivanhoe and make sure ponder =off

Time controls were Game 5 min. and 10 min. as indicated with the scores.  Ponder was definitely unchecked as that would be unfair.  Being that it is Deep Rybka, I believe that it used all four cores, and I did not see a place to limit it in a computer match.  I did choose the Rybka "Human" engine, since that is the one I typically play against.  Hash size and opening books were identical. 

I have not looked for the other two engines you have mentioned.  Igorrit seems strong based on some other posts, should be interesting.

I wonder if the 009 version is buggy or if it is a problem with Aquarium.  I will have to try the fritz setup I have and see how things play out there.

Thanks for the reply.

zxzyz
bishp1965 wrote: Being that it is Deep Rybka, I believe that it used all four cores, and I did not see a place to limit it in a computer match. 
Thats a problem you ran a 1 core engine vs a 4 core engine.
If you do not know how to limit rybka to 1 core, try it against invanhoe or firebird - they use all 4 cores.
zxzyz
wilddog wrote:

All you cave-men playing with your 1-cpu should come up to present time and  discover what is happening in the real world. RYBKA RULES http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/...

Dude, Try downloading firebird or ivanhoe and run it against rybka3. At any short time control with reasonable number of games Rybka 3 will lose. 

Both Firebird and ivanhoe are multicore.

The ccrl has BANNED firebird/ivanhoe claiming them to be clones, so you want find them there. 

So yeah rybka 3 rules if you ban firebird/ivanhoe from the competition.

wilddog
[COMMENT DELETED]
wilddog

zxzyz wrote: wilddog wrote: All you cave-men playing with your 1-cpu should come up to present time and  discover what is happening in the real world. RYBKA RULES http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/. Dude, Try downloading firebird or ivanhoe and run it against rybka3. At any short time control with reasonable number of games Rybka 3 will lose.  Both Firebird and ivanhoe are multicore.   The ccrl has BANNED firebird/ivanhoe claiming them to be clones, so you want find them there.  So yeah rybka 3 rules if you ban firebird/ivanhoe from the competition.

zxzyz..you are evidently a salesman for firebird/ivanhoe. The CCRL would not have banned them without just cause. RYBKA STILL RULES.

zxzyz

yeah, pay me $100 and I will show you where to download it and how to set up an engine match to see that it beats Rybka ...

keep believing what you want buddy -- But I can see for myself that Rybka gets beaten quite soundly by these new engines ..

wilddog
zxzyz  #78    "pay me $100" ....a salesman to the bleating end.
Gallows666

@wilddog

Very wild eh? Why dont you come out of the garbage-can and check it out for yourself? 1cpu is history. All the cavemen (assuming that whats leftover in this sham world is just a mixture of dogs, cats and cavemen :)) here are trying it out on 2 or 4 cpu.  And @zxzyz is right. On shorter tc (if you can understand what that means) Rybka 3 any core has its belt and pants stripped down and processed to the core!!

Some tailless monkeys think that they can just type away some keys at random and run about wild without consequences.

By the way, can the Rybka engineers or the ccrl topdogs give an open account of the sourcecodes of the theoretical "clones" that they claim these engines to be? huh?

amitprabhale

Once I had engine match Rybka v/s Chess.com

Rybka lost it

zxzyz

chess.com puzzle of the day:

New game
r1b1r1k1/pq3p1p/1p2np1Q/3p1N2/3Rn3/6PB/P4P1P/4R1K1 w - - 0 1

Analysis by Rybka 3

1. +-  (#5): 1.Rexe4
2. +-  (4.31): 1.Bg2 N4g5 2.Bxd5 Qc7 3.Rg4 a5 4.Bxa8
3. +-  (2.72): 1.f3 Qc7 2.fxe4 Qe5 3.Rxd5

New game

Analysis by IvanHoe 9.64b w32_:

1. +-  (#5): 1.Rexe4 Qe7 2.Rg4+ Kh8 3.Nxe7 Rf8 4.Qxf6+ Ng7 5.Qxg7#
2. +-  (6.23): 1.f3 Qe7 2.Nxe7+ Rxe7 3.Bxe6 Bxe6 4.fxe4 Bf5 5.Rxd5 Rxe4 6.Rxe4 Bxe4 7.Rd2 Bg6 8.Qf4 f5 9.Rd7 a6 10.Qc7 b5 11.Qc6 Re8 12.Qxa6
3. +-  (4.06): 1.Bg2 N4g5 2.Qxf6 h5 3.Bxd5 Rb8 4.Qxg5+ Nxg5 5.Rxe8+ Kh7 6.Bxb7 Rxb7 7.Rxc8 Nf3+ 8.Kg2 Nxd4 9.Nxd4 Rd7 10.Nc6 Kg7 11.a4 Rb7 12.Ra8 a5 13.Ra6 f6 14.Nd8 Rb8 15.Ne6+ Kf7

If I want to see the moves leading to mate at a glance I can't with Rybka.

philidorposition
zxzyz wrote:

chess.com puzzle of the day:

New game

Analysis by Rybka 3

1. +-  (#5): 1.Rexe4
2. +-  (4.31): 1.Bg2 N4g5 2.Bxd5 Qc7 3.Rg4 a5 4.Bxa8
3. +-  (2.72): 1.f3 Qc7 2.fxe4 Qe5 3.Rxd5

New game

Analysis by IvanHoe 9.64b w32_:

1. +-  (#5): 1.Rexe4 Qe7 2.Rg4+ Kh8 3.Nxe7 Rf8 4.Qxf6+ Ng7 5.Qxg7#
2. +-  (6.23): 1.f3 Qe7 2.Nxe7+ Rxe7 3.Bxe6 Bxe6 4.fxe4 Bf5 5.Rxd5 Rxe4 6.Rxe4 Bxe4 7.Rd2 Bg6 8.Qf4 f5 9.Rd7 a6 10.Qc7 b5 11.Qc6 Re8 12.Qxa6
3. +-  (4.06): 1.Bg2 N4g5 2.Qxf6 h5 3.Bxd5 Rb8 4.Qxg5+ Nxg5 5.Rxe8+ Kh7 6.Bxb7 Rxb7 7.Rxc8 Nf3+ 8.Kg2 Nxd4 9.Nxd4 Rd7 10.Nc6 Kg7 11.a4 Rb7 12.Ra8 a5 13.Ra6 f6 14.Nd8 Rb8 15.Ne6+ Kf7

If I want to see the moves leading to mate at a glance I can't with Rybka.

Yes, Rybka stops showing entire lines when the advantage gets higher than 5+ or something, which seems insignificant for playing strength but it makes it inconvenient for analysis in some tactical positions.

wilddog

Gallowsbait #80 . Huh?   Sorry I don't speak vaticanese.

bishp1965

I have attempted to run all three versions of FireBird 1.1 w32, but each lock up while setting up a match against Rybka using Aquarium 2010.  Has any one had any luck.  I downloaded direct from chesslogik.  Maybe Rybka is afraid to play it. Wink

myou27
wilddog wrote:

Why do you quote censored lists? The Russians who don't censor show that Rybka has no dice at 40/40 even on multi CPU. The CCRL is controlled by those who prefer Rybka to be #1 rather than present valuable results. They don't need no steenking "valid reasons" other than thug-rules and innuendo.

The "Rybka" propaganda agents further the panorama by "choosing" the dysfunctional FireBird or IvanHoe compiles and then making the comparison wrong. All the complete testers agree with Rybka not the best now. The "private" Rybka forum even has these results I bet, but they prefer to massage the public for sales rather than promotion of actuality.