Forums

Warped Vinyl Board

Sort:
Kens_Mom

Is there a good way to straighten a warped vinyl board?  My vinyl board has a few minor hills and valleys when I lay it out, and placing heavy text books on top of it for a day or two seems to have no effect on it.  I saw a thread a few years ago where I think I read that a guy wrapped his board around a broomstick and placed it in the fridge to straighten it out.  Ironing the vinyl with a towel in between is apparently something that works for vinyl clothing, but I'm not sure if the ink on the board would survive after heat is applied.

Please let me know if anyone has any recommendations.  I will eventually buy a new vinyl board or invest in a silicon one, but I'd like to give this one another go.

msjenned

I solve it by placing board under the TV cabinet. It must be more than book weight. 200 to 300 lbs. Leave it for couple of days.

goldendog

I've tried all of the above on a wayward unbacked vinyl board.

Didn't work.

I even tried contact cement (tricky stuff) and another flat piece of vinyl. Again, no success. It lost adhesion here and there but it was flat where it stuck.

If I were really desperate I'd try again, but I'm not since my folding vinyl always lies flat. $10 or so.

msjenned

What it mean by wayward unbacked? Bumps on the board. 

NimzoRoy

Next time try epoxy not contact cement with another flat piece of vinyl. And not some cheap crap pretend epoxy but the real thing - which has to be mixed from 2 separate tubes to create the epoxy.

Bronco

You could try a silicone board. It always lays flat but it's more expensive and it feels slightly tacky(which may be something you might not like). I have seen them at the local chess store but I don't really like the tacky feel.

http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/chess_boards/unique_chess_boards/silicone_chess_board

Kens_Mom

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I've said in the opening post, I will eventually buy a new vinyl or silicone board to replace the one I currently have. I just wanted to know if there was a quick and cheap fix to my problem, but it's not a big loss if there isn't one.

Bronco

I would think laying it flat, out in the hot summer sun would help it

Dodger111
joeydvivre wrote:

Doesn't a new vinyl board cost like as much as a Happy meal?  The equipment costs in chess are nothing compared to many other hobbies (I've been into skiing, bicycling, and scuba diving which cost a ton and when I complain someone always says something like "That's nothing - you should try offshore powerboat racing").  I think you should stand up after a loss in a tournamant and shred your vinyl board and pull out a new one for luck in the next round.

My thoughts exactly they cost next to nothing just buy a new one.

qixel

I have successfully ironed them.  You have to iron them on the flip (cloth) side.  Start with the lowest setting and work up.  Be careful and don't get the iron too hot, or you will ruin the board. I've never had a problem with the ink.

On the other hand I was very happy to read the comment by Bronco70 about silicone boards.  Never heard of them before, but will definitely buy one now.  Up to this point, my favorite type of roll-up board has been the mouse-pad variety.  They don't tend to warp and have a nice weight to them.

Amy

goldendog

I don't care for the tackiness, but a silicone board would be great for minimizing a full-size chess kit.

You could just fold and tuck the board into a drawstring bag alongside the pieces.

Kens_Mom
Bronco70 wrote:

I would think laying it flat, out in the hot summer sun would help it

The issue is getting the board to lay flat.  If I place something heavy on it to make it flat, the sun doesn't get through.

@qixel, thanks for letting me know that ironing the boards works.  I'll try that out in the near future.

msjenned

Never had mouse-pad board. Does the top piece at the end/borders peel off from the padding. All three cloth backed vinyl I have tend to have threads wearing off from the border.

qixel
Kens_Mom wrote:

@qixel, thanks for letting me know that ironing the boards works.  I'll try that out in the near future.

Yes, just be careful.  Start on the very lowest heat and work your way up incrementally until you see results.

I'm very intrigued by these silicone boards.  I just ordered one from amazon.

Bronco

I meant to say laying something on the edges/4 corners when it's cooking in the sun :) hope something works for ya. Let us know

qixel
msjenned wrote:

Never had mouse-pad board. Does the top piece at the end/borders peel off from the padding. All three cloth backed vinyl I have tend to have threads wearing off from the border.

The mouse-pad boards that I own have cloth adhered to the rubbery "mouse" material.  The cloth has never separated from the base material.

msjenned

Thank you qixel. Amazon had review on Silicone Board, it mention it picks up lint and dust.

qixel
msjenned wrote:

Thank you qixel. Amazon had review on Silicone Board, it mention it picks up lint and dust.

Yes, I saw that.  I bought one anyway.  I MUST see this thing.  LOL.

MJ4H

Love my silicone board, but yes it picks up every speck of dust or hair.

Bronco

MJ4H, how do you clean it? Do you use a damp cloth and wipe it?