Forums

best reply to 1.e4 d6 2.Nf3

Sort:
nightwenevermet

Hi,

I am wondering whether playing 2...Nf6 and later g6( pirc) is a valid reply to white 's 2.Nf3. I am trying to learn pirc and usually respond to 1 e4 with d6. But pirc books don't cover 2.Nf3 for pirc . I am wondering if my moves are valid or whether a second move is better than 2...Nf6 for black.

LoveYouSoMuch

after 2 nf3 you can transpose to a sicilian with c5.

if you want a pirc you can still play nf6 g6 etc and hope for d4 (which usually happens)

TensionHeadache

Nothing wrong with 2.Nf3.  It's a good, solid developing move, and a typical move in many, even most 1.e4 openings.  Respond normally, and assume you're headed into your preferred Pirc waters.  If you play something that doesn't challenge the e4 pawn right away, your opponent has the option of playing c4 and luring you into a KID.

White's independent options at this point mostly revolve around lines with d3 protecting the e pawn.  That won't lead to a proper Pirc, but shouldn't exactly have you quaking in your boots, either, since symmetrical is a perfectly valid way to play against a KIA (with the option of breaking the symmetry with either ...e5 or ...c5, at your discretion), and the reversed Philidor is hardly the stuff of nightmares.