Forums

Nimzo-Indian: Help!!!

Sort:
zerogravity77

I am having an extremely hard time facing the nimzo-indian.

Please! Help!!

moonnie

So does everybody .. it is considered one of the best defences against d4. There is no refutation and not even a sure way to get advtange.

It is not for no reason that many people play Nf3 to enter the queen indian

zerogravity77

can you show me it?

zerogravity77

k. Sorry but could you go deeper into the line?

zerogravity77

ya that's what i thought but who knows? I guess.

ClavierCavalier

Why did you do a 16 move puzzle instead of a game diagram?

Rubinstein Variation was named after the great Arthur Rubinstein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEl9zn8JPW8

Marcus-101

lol

Marcus-101

I dont understand why Black goes d5-c5 in Rubinstein variation.. It helps white undouble his pawns and allows him to open the position where the two bishops will be a advantage.. I think black is better with something like this

Marcus-101

With a colle-zukertort type position with colours reversed

zerogravity77

thanks. I think i will go with the rubenstein. But why can't black just take on d5 with the knight. tacticasacting 123

zerogravity77

sorry but how

zerogravity77

no I meant move 14. Oh wait I think I see it. Is it ng5 that does the trick?

zerogravity77

ya sorry for bothering. I think the rubenstein is my new opening

evgeny-mak

Здравствуйте друзья. Всем  привет из Сибири, города Иркутска.

blake78613

The Samisch variation of the Nimzo-Indian defense is 1.d5 Nf6 2.c5 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.a3. 

Irontiger

IMHO the Saemisch variation is not the way to go against the Nimzo. Black gets a lot of play against the c4 pawn. Btw, here is a standard line in the Saemisch, for those who wonder what it is :

Either the Capablanca (4.Qc2) or the Rubinstein (4.e3) look better tries to me.

atarw

I try to go for a position like this:

I'm not saying this is best play from both sides, I'm just showing the type of position to go into.

OF course, I play e4 :P

Irontiger

@ Dabigone : without even book knowledge, 7...cxd4 ? in your line is a big mistake : why allow White to get rid of his doubled pawns ? Better the plan ...b6, ...Nb8-c6-a5 and ...Ba6.

BTW, I strongly recommend Reinaldo Vera's Chess explained : the Nimzo-Indian to anyone who really wants to study that opening. It's reader-friendly (unlike other books from the chess explained series) and complete (as far as <2100 opening knowledge is concerned at least).

zerogravity77

Dabigone, I see your point. However like irontiger said, I dont think black will just let you go into a good position like that. I think I'll just go with the rubinstein. And irontiger, do you think the rubinstein is good?

Irontiger
zerogravity77 wrote:

Dabigone, I see your point. However like irontiger said, I dont think black will just let you go into a good position like that. I think I'll just go with the rubinstein. And irontiger, do you think the rubinstein is good?

I fear more the Capablanca (4.Qc2) than the Rubinstein (4.e3), but that's only because I usually don't manage to get much from the temporary initiative Black has in the Capablanca lines (White projects 5.a3 Bxc3 Qxc3 with the pair of bishops and an untouched pawn structure, but he has lost tempi moving the queen during that). As White I go for some mix of Capablanca and Rubinstein by (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4) 4.Qc2 d5 (4...0-0 is the other try, to get a stronghold on e4 by a future ...Bb7/...Ne4 and use it for attack) 5.e3 and although White has much of the trouble of the Rubinstein (the trapped c1 bishop) he has a very clear plan to expand in the center with moves like Rd1, f3, e4, while Black has no real plan.

Yet, as usual with opening played on GM level today, both are perfectly playable and of equal value (at least for what we are concerned), so choose accordingly to your ability in the positions that result from it.