Forums

Opening popularity pie chart

Sort:
ChessPatzer

Hooray statistics! I'm working on something about popular opening lines but I just thought I'd post this. Numbers are great, but graphs are even better. Enjoy!

promotedpawn

how about na3 sodium attack?

millerthesmurf

nice but i still prefer d4 :L

ChessPatzer

I thought about including the percentages. Maybe I'll add to this post in a few days since I see that my graph was not for nought. And promotedpawn, I'm sure you know very well I had to exclude many openings (like Na3) because they don't represent a slice that is visible. Although I did consider adding a "junk drawer" slice of other openings including the incredible Nh3!

Anyhow, I made this graph since I think people feel that e4 and d4 are equal in popularity, and also the importance of learning to deal with c4 and nf3.

gibberishlwmetlkwn

Wooohoo!  Represent the 1.e4!

I believe the statistics, but I'll believe them even more when you tell me your source.Smile

mafian_with_ponytail

that graph is so right i have seen so many people make the move e4

thanks for the graph dude its great

ChessPatzer

Ok sorry I really should post the source. It is the chessgames.com expolorer. I believe it is similar to the chess.com one, but chess.com I think has more games. The stats should match up though.

ChessPatzer

Ok. Another lunch break, another graph. This one should be self explanatory. Also don't overlook transpositions. Enjoy!

chessgames.com opening explorer

mowque

Cite your Source!

dc1985

go purple side(of the first chart)!!!

Phrygian

d4 FTFW!!!

esolom

Mmmmmmmm....  Pie.....

Phrygian

d4 FTFW!!!

cheesehat

If you just put the oepning names (for example, on your 2nd chart, instea of 1. e5 c5...blah just put OPEN SICILIAN or CLOSED SICILIAN)

Seraphimity

very cool, i see my choice is little used and the reason I like it so much ;)

tuliptop

Realtime tool that displays historical comparison of oppenings by popularity:

http://chess-db.com/public/popularopenings.jsp