Arctor

are you any good?

bastiaan

...yes

burnha

@Arctor.. WHy are u so mean........... 

Thx... 

easylimbo

I played the scotch for about a month before realizing that it wasn't right for me. Basically, the scotch is for players who love open games, with less minor pieces on the board. Which is perfectly fine if you are going for a draw as white, but in most cases, the white player goes for the win. I would try it out, see how you like it, but a long term opening no. Study the variations, but don't go too deep. If you're beginning, i think it's absolutely great, as it gets right into the middlegame and really forces you to see the real side of chess.

burnha

I tend to stick with QG and itallian.... or ruy lopez. I would say I am beinner intermediate. 

Jordan_G

If your interested in the Scotch, you may be interested in this lecture series by a Grandmaster on the Scotch Gambit http://www.chess.com/video/player/underrated-openings-part-1

the_cheradenine

I've recently started playing the Scotch and I think it's definitely one of the most promising choices for White when playing for the win.

Ruy Lopez is great, of course, but there you really need to be booked-up :a lot: - since your oponent will be.

Giuoco Piano is no good any more, but Giuoco Pianissimo (Italian game with d3 instead of d4) offers good prospects, though it's much more drawish than the Scotch.

If you think the Scotch game is drawish, have a look at this:

http://blog.chess.com/the_cheradenine/sharp-battle-in-the-scotch

This was my :first: game with the Scotch, so it's not as if I was thoroughly prepared or anything of the sort. The game was really fun, with a lot of tactics and a crushing attack.

Yosriv

Yes it is!

TeraHammer

The scotch is a nice opening. It gets your pieces out of the box quickly, but so does black.

Crazychessplaya

Kasparov played it many times; it's good.

Caliphigia
Yosriv wrote:

Yes it is!

Why is it called Scotch?

xqsme

It arose in a match between London and Edinburgh ( Capital city of Scotland) Name is an archaic corruption of "Scots" or "Scottish "

Danny_BLT

only the scotch breed are aloud to play it. be warned! thats why i never deviate from the english! if you haven't got an opening named after your country i suggest you find a new hobby 

birdmove

I coached a K-6th grade chess club for 5-6 years (it was FUN). I spent a bit of time on the Scotch, as I felt it was a good solid opening for starting players. I played it myself , and used it in tournaments with good results.

claiomh_dofheicthe
the_cheradenine wrote:

I've recently started playing the Scotch and I think it's definitely one of the most promising choices for White when playing for the win.

Ruy Lopez is great, of course, but there you really need to be booked-up :a lot: - since your oponent will be.

Giuoco Piano is no good any more, but Giuoco Pianissimo (Italian game with d3 instead of d4) offers good prospects, though it's much more drawish than the Scotch.

If you think the Scotch game is drawish, have a look at this:

https://blog.chess.com/the_cheradenine/sharp-battle-in-the-scotch

This was my :first: game with the Scotch, so it's not as if I was thoroughly prepared or anything of the sort. The game was really fun, with a lot of tactics and a crushing attack.

Uh what Italian game is perfectly fine, especially at your level lol

DrSpudnik

Around  1980, I bought a Batsford book on the Scotch and started playing it. Everyone told me what a dope I was, because of releasing the tension in the center too early and not developing my Bishop right away (the usual, as per easylimbo's post above). Then Kasparov played some brilliancies with the Scotch and then two things happened: everyone started playing/studying the opening--which meant my surprise value dropped dramatically--and I gave up on it. New lines developed by GMs started making the game far more complicated than I was comfortable with. So it was back to 3. Bc4.