Forums

Semi-Slav NOTEBOOM Variation

Sort:
LavaRook

Hey so I watched some videos on the Noteboom variation of the Semi-Slav recently and it seems very interesting-requiring precise play from both sides. Black is trying to push on the queenside while white tries to breakthrough in the center and go for a kingside attack.

I know that white has the very powerful Marshall Gambit but at the Club player level, I doubt it would be played.

15.e5 with the idea that if white takes, then Nc5 is strong.

LavaRook

In the game by Moro against Aronian in the Tal Memorial Round 5,  Moro went Nd7 first (I think its to let white commit to Nf3 first but I'm not sure) and then f5 where he had an interesting plan of Nh6-Rf6.

Btw, what should a Triangle system player play against 2.Nf3? I'm assuming 2...e6 or 2...c6. Do you transpose to a Stonewall vs. D-pawn Specials like the colle as well?

silentiarius

One word of warning: several years ago I tried to play the Noteboom myself.

However, in about a dozen slow OTB games I didn't get a single Noteboom game. I've tried 2...c6 and 2...e6, no luck. They would either exchange on d5, play e3, or Nf3 with Qc2, &c. Not a single Noteboom.

My opponents' ratings were 1800 ... 2300 I'd say.

LavaRook

Haha. Well I just played my first game in the Noteboom in a 15 0 game!

My opponent played the e4 line which is the line people will probably play OTB too. I don't see many exchange variations but if I do whatever I know both the Slav and QGD Exchange variations.

LavaRook

The thing I don't like about 2...c6 is that if white plays a Colle, you have to waste a move playing c5. It also seems like playing this vs the Colle can get you into a boring double Stonewall formation.

But if I know they play this Colle stuff beforehand ill just play Nf6,g6,d5,c5  of course.

Btw how did I do in the above game?

LavaRook

Good point. I was so focused on the Stonewall stuff that I didn't consider Bf5 lol.

LavaRook

So against the English, you also play 1. c4 c6? Cause it looks like with this move order you have to learn some Caro Kann variations too.

I tried 1...e6 and got move ordered into a Catalan >.<

1.c4 e6 2.g3 d5 3.d4.... oops

LavaRook

Just got the Triangle System book by Scherbakov in Ebook format! They are having a promotion where I could get another ebook free with this so I decided to get this anyways with Art of Attack :)

kensaikid

This has been an excellent thread to read through. Thanks to you all. 

chyss

Is there a good reason not to go 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 dxc4 following up with a quick b5 to reach the Noteboom? Does delaying e6 and Nf6 matter?

ShamusMcFlannigan
chyss wrote:

Is there a good reason not to go 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 dxc4 following up with a quick b5 to reach the Noteboom? Does delaying e6 and Nf6 matter?

Sounds like you might be in a QGA where white played Nf3 and you responded with c6.  I'm not sure how theoretical that is as I don't play the QGA but conventional wisdom advises black to return the pawn.  White would probably play a4 and maybe even b3 if you don't.

1c6O-1

I like to go d5 c6, I think its better ngl

chyss

Thanks guys!

Geo_Snake
Crazy bullet game in Noteboom

chyss

Cool game.

bc100000

It doesn't work well, generally, to hope to play some single variation. It's just too easy for the opponent to vary. It's good to select lines that bring positions that you like when your opponents do not cooperate.