Forums

Taimanov (Bastrikov) study partner

Sort:
Fear_ItseIf

Due to chess coms recent purge of thematic positions im finding it difficult to always reach the sicilian taimanov lines i wish to play in the bastrikov move order. (Due to the nxc6 bxc6 e5 lines from the starting positions available, which is what the qc7 variation is trying to avoid)

(bastrikov move order seen here)
http://www.chess.com/opening/eco/B47_Sicilian_Defense_Paulsen_Variation_Bastrikov_Variation

would anyone like to play a few CC games with me as black?
Preferably one day per move, though i can deal with 3.

Fear_ItseIf

im surprised no one wants to take the open sicilian side of the taimanov

Stormstout

I don't like CC but we can play in the live chess sometime. 

Likhit1

How about live games?

Fear_ItseIf

live games are more difficult to organise, and require more commitent.

Stormstout

Yes but if you manage, you can play 1-2 games in just one day. CC takes months.

Fear_ItseIf

my CC 24 hour games dont, since i move within 20 seconds of seeing the game and usually quite a few times per day.

Stormstout

Ok, it is a matter of preference :)

Likhit1

All right Ill take you on.1 day per move.

opticRED

Good evening. Would you recommend any books on the Taimanov Sicilian? Right now, I am only reading the Move by move series by John Emms.

InfiniteFlash

I have this book, and have read some of it....tbh it is pretty decent, i didn't think there was much of an explanation (there is still some) for move by move analysis...its more of a repetoire book where you have to understand the ideas by yourself and learn it independently. Lots of lines to study. 

He goes over all of the sidelines if im correct, and its pretty recent. 

TwoMove

The one has been my rep book since 2007 or so. The explanations are pretty decent in my opinion. The structure of the book is to have a quick rep section, with more verbal explanation. Followed by a more detailed varation section. To be honest if need more hand holding than this it is doubtful if at ability level where studing an opening rep is any value.

"Cutting edge 1" from Quality chess has some  chapters which are useful on the Be3, Qd2 English attack looking setup

Likhit1
TwoMove wrote:

The one has been my rep book since 2007 or so. The explanations are pretty decent in my opinion. The structure of the book is to have a quick rep section, with more verbal explanation. Followed by a more detailed varation section. To be honest if need more hand holding than this it is doubtful if at ability level where studing an opening rep is any value.

"Cutting edge 1" from Quality chess has some  chapters which are useful on the Be3, Qd2 English attack looking setup

The Qd2,f3 setup is not too effective against the Bastrikov IMO

TwoMove

That hasn't been the opinion of the elite players, but Carlson might agree with you after his recent game with Ivanchuck. All same would like to know why choose 10Nb3 instead of Nd-e2 which white had been very sucessful with.

opticRED
pfren wrote:
opticRED wrote:

Good evening. Would you recommend any books on the Taimanov Sicilian? Right now, I am only reading the Move by move series by John Emms.

I guess that one:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Safest-Sicilian-Repertoire-Practice/dp/9548782456

Thanks a lot!