Forums

Need Help IN 960!!

Sort:
Ishan01

Hi,I need some tips to play Chess960.I am a really poor player in 960 and my rating is 1188.After seeing my rating,you can guess how poor I am in 960.I need help on various aspects like how to open a 960 game,middlegame960 and Endgame960.  

arjuniyer

i too but i want to help you but i cant because i dont have the settings of 960 chess board sorry.......Cry

Ishan01

Thanx for the concern Arjun,I am talking about how to play Chess960 and not its settings.

arjuniyer

ok but i should have board to explain to youCryvery sorry.

Ishan01

No board is not required,just give a few tips and I will be grateful.

arjuniyer

ok i'm busy now can i send you afterwards please.

glider1001

I think that starting in Chess960 is probably not the best idea. I would concentrate on Chess until you get to about 1300-1500. Then all you have to do is learn the basic opening theory of Chess and apply it to Chess960. There is not a lot of difference to be honest.

So for example. Why in Chess do we play 1.e4?

Answer:

Because it frees a bishop to move

Because it helps control the center square d5

Because it is a step closer to castling

At a deeper level, we play to control the center of the board, because by controlling the center, we are able to control what happens to the flanks of the board. It is a way of keeping your options open strategically.

Think about it. If you don't play moves that support the center, you are sending a signal to your opponent that you are committing your strategy to one flank. This gives the opponent food for their own counter strategy.

That is the reason why prefering moves that control the center is still very important in Chess960.

Summary: Focus on standard chess until you get to 1300-1500, then start to transition to Chess960.

Ishan01

I am already 1331in standard,glider,thanx for the advice.

glider1001

Thats a good rating enough to start exploring Chess960. Suggest reading books on Chess openings that do not focus on specific variations, but the underlying principals of why the moves are made. Remember it will take maybe 2000 games before you get a feel for it.

Another thing that we take for granted in Chess is the question of tempo. So try not to move too many pawns before pieces it usually backfires. Problems with moving pawns is that in a lot of cases, the opponent can use your expended moves to counter attack your premature pawn structure and get their pieces out quicker at the same time. There is nothing special about having pawns advanced if your main pieces are not threatening anything in blacks camp.

One of the most complex things in Chess960, is when to castle. In Chess960 there are three options, kingside, queenside and no-castling. If you reveal your castling intentions too soon, you give your opponent a ready made plan because they know where your king is going to be.

I'm the author of http://chess960jungle.blogspot.com.au/

Enjoy 960, it is really a lot of fun (and a painful at times too!)

Ishan01

Excellent article on blog Glider,Thanx for the assistance.It will definitely helpSmileCool

glider1001

No probs Ishan. Another thing is that when we first start playing Chess960, we are so focused on our own pieces and where we should put them, that we forget to look closely into the opponents camp at what they are doing!

If you can aim for 2000 games played, that will mean that it is reasonably likely you have seen almost all start positions in Chess960 once or twice. I know it seems like a mountain at first. But when you look at the amount of games people play in normal chess, 2000 is not that much!

Kriptac

Here are some things I've learned.

First look to see which pawns are unprotected from the start and see if there is a way to immediately target them. However, you should be very careful about taking pawns in the opening of the game. You shouldn't go pawn hunting if you'll fall behind in development. 

Look for multi-purpose moves. If you can open a line for your Queen and Bishop at the same time while throwing a pawn in the center it's usually a good thing.

Develop with some plan in mind and play moves that go together. Try to place your pawns and pieces where they will work well together and keep your options open.

glider1001

Good points agree. Another point is that the pawns on the edge of the board are more often not worth grabbing, because you have to spend a turn capturing, then a turn retreating, then a turn moving the capturing piece to a better square than where it retreated too. Meanwhile, after giving the opponent 2-3 moves, taking the edge pawn often doesn't destroy the opponents ability to build a pawn structure even without it.

wanmokewan

It would also help if you didn't timeout in the opening.

DarthCadence

Middlegames in 960 are often identical to regular chess middlegames, and endgames are always identical to regular chess. A couple of pieces might be in unusual positions, but once your pieces are developed, it's just chess.