Forums

Shogi or Japanese chess

Sort:
bronsteinitz

Anybody experience with Japanese chess? http://www.shogi.net/arc/shogi-l/shogi_rules.txt

ivandh

Jesus Christ if you're going to reference a wikipedia article just post the link.

bronsteinitz

Good remark

HGMuller

I wrote a computer program to play it, and as a consequence watched a lot of games between computer programs. It seemed looks a very exciting game, even better than Chess. Once you get rid of the Japanese influences, of course; the traditional material for playing it is absolutely awful. With a western representation it becomes strangely familiar.

bronsteinitz

Is it available?

VULPES_VULPES
HGMuller wrote:

I wrote a computer program to play it, and as a consequence watched a lot of games between computer programs. It seemed looks a very exciting game, even better than Chess. Once you get rid of the Japanese influences, of course; the traditional material for playing it is absolutely awful. With a western representation it becomes strangely familiar.

How are Japanese influences awful?

VULPES_VULPES

And if you want to play Shogi against other people, sign up to PlayOk.com. There, you can play all kinds of board games against other people, like chess, Shogi, Xiang Qi, Go, etc.

bronsteinitz

Thank you foxy ... Lady, i presume...

VULPES_VULPES
bronsteinitz wrote:

Thank you foxy ... Lady, i presume...

Wrong!

bronsteinitz

Ok sorry foxy person. Thank you for THE info.

Meadmaker
VULPES_VULPES wrote:
HGMuller wrote:

How are Japanese influences awful?

I suspect he means the traditional Kanji characters on the pieces.  If you don't read Japanese, it makes the game rather difficult.

The Elephant Chess Club sells "westernized" boards for both Shogi and Xiangqi that have pictures instead of Kanji characters on them.  The sets are reasonably priced and available via amazon.com.

Kens_Mom

The one thing I can't get used to in shogi is that pawns move AND capture forward. 

VULPES_VULPES
Kens_Mom wrote:

The one thing I can't get used to in shogi is that pawns move AND capture forward. 

What's not to get? It's perfectly logical.

Chess pawns are what stumps me.