Forums

960 Chess Tournament

Sort:
falgocharm

Chess.com needs the option to play 'every game random' position when beginning 960 tournaments.  What is the point in every board playing the same game?   It's 960.  You should give every board a unique game in tournaments.

kohai

If you mean turn based tournaments, anyone who creates one already has the option of making it a chess960 

catirene

Kohai, I think windownight means that the individual boards in the tournament should be different from each other.

windownight, I'm not sure that it would be entirely fair to completely randomize the boards.  Some starting positions may highly favor white (or black, but I haven't seen any yet).  Perhaps each pair of opponents could play two games from the same starting position and switch colors.

kohai

Ahh ok :)  Thanks

falgocharm

"Perhaps each pair of opponents could play two games from the same starting position and switch colors."   - That is what I'm getting at.

960 is supposed to favor the player with the stronger tactics/strategy.   Knowing fixed lines of openings is not relevant in 960 chess.  So, why repeat the same game with multiple oponents?  The game is balanced already.