Forums

Chess Geeks

Sort:
eddiewsox

A 10 year old neighbor boy wants me to teach him to play chess. He is very good in math and science, he belongs to the school math club. His teenage sister told him he is a geek and that all smart kids are geeks and that playing chess would certify him as a geek. Are we all geeks? 

Supavuth

I don't mind being called a geek, the fact is I get called a lot worse.

ivandh

Here's the thing. Geeks either learn to be both cool and smart, and have awesome lives, or they get fabulously rich by becoming engineers or Bill Gates, and have awesome lives, or both. The cool kids have a good time in school as a consolation for boring lives afterwards.

That said, chess isn't very geeky. I've known plenty of cool people who played. Remember that his sister is probably trying to put him down.

add-Inactive
I get called a geek all the time and other names that are to vile to say. But if the deffinition of geek is playing chess and being smarter than the average person then yes im a geek. AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
glennsf
I'm with "Add."  All these labels, like "Geek."  What do they really mean?  Well, Geek means un-cool, to them.  It's not considered a good thing by the 'in' crowd.  What's behind that label?  My guess is some kind of fear that the 'geek' is living to the beat of his own drummer (or what Thoreau said), and they're not. That's the key: they're not even hearing that beat.  They're so afraid of . . . whatever . . . being true to themselves . . . that they would blend into anonymity and ridicule anyone who stands out. So, play chess . . . if you want . . . and let the labels fall where they may.
gorgak

No, no, no, all wrong!

GEEKS play Dungeons & Dragons.

NERDS play Chess. 

eddiewsox
I told the boy to tell his sister that he would be programming and building the computers that she uses "My Space" for.
Freelancer131

I don't really care when people call me greek or nerd or anything.  I am a 17 years old high school student and peer's pressure wasn't really a matter to me.  I am always cool with my friends and I always have my own style of clothing, and if you don't like me cause I am better you all I can say is "don't be jealous cause I am smarter than you = )

"Hey, I am a greek and nerdy, so don't let me get cooler than you = )" -Freelancer131

Locke

Considering his sister had to resort to namedropping, she probably isn't as intelligent as him (as he appears to be, by the way you described him). So this event can either be a product of ignorance or jealousy.

In fact, I would rather be a geek (or nerd, or whatever terminology you would like to use), than a "normal" person as they are deftly manipulated and exploited to squeeze every possible piece of money out of them (clothes, makeup, all that crap) but these things simply increase their insecurity. Also, they're boring. And dumb.

So teach him chess.

eddiewsox
I like the comments, I love Locke's comment
ToTheChest
If we are "geeks" then I'm an oxi-moron.....because I was the captain of my H.S. football team and co founder of our chess club.I even have a hybrid nickname that mixes the words"nerd" with "jock"....I think it was nerdock or something...I could go on forever about this...don't let labels bother you.
guitar_man_03
add wrote: I get called a geek all the time and other names that are to vile to say. But if the deffinition of geek is playing chess and being smarter than the average person then yes im a geek. AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!

same here... AMEN for that brother!!!

Hawkeyes
geek any person considered to be different from others in a negative or bizarre way.I like to play chess i'am a intermediate player,sometime's if i really focus i can play advanced.I have trouble spelling ,so i must not be that smart. You must be smart to be a geek and geeks play chess,oh my god what am I? LOL! I also like hunting and fishing and football. so i'am a chessgeek,huntinggeek;fishing-geek,and football-geek.LOL
Incommunicado417

If she wants to call...

Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jamie Fox, Timothy Dalton, Nicholas Cage, Charlton Heston, Evander Holyfield, Jude Law, Martin Lawrence, LL Cool J, Salma Hayek, Al Pacino, Keanu Reeves, Julia Roberts, Chris Rock, George C Scott, Tom Selleck, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, David Spade, Sylvester Stallone, John Wayne, Robin Williams, Bono, Cher, Madonna, Grace Slick, Frank Sinatra, Sting, Marilyn Monroe, Brooke Shields, Liv Tyler, Latrelle Spreewell, LaVar Arrington and me to name a few; geeks, well more power to her.Cool

RedSoxpawn
Supavuth wrote:

I don't mind being called a geek, the fact is I get called a lot worse.

same here

coco_crazy
im a geek i dont care i get beat up shoved in locker swirlies and wedgied but being a geek is not bad thing most geeks get rich
RedSoxpawn

that is why some of us know how to fight, but yes the rich part is nice

coco_crazy
but most of us dont
RedSoxpawn

that is true which means you better get some friends in high places like I do as well as fight

Unbeliever
I get called a geek often, but it doesn't really matter.  If people want to insult me, I can always challenge them to a game of chess:)