Forums

Chess.com Disconnects & Adjourn Part 3 - Please give your opinion!

Sort:
erik

will be fixed by monday!

Rodion_Romanovich

I like this idea a lot. Recently I had an interesting endgame that I had a small material advantage in, and my opponent disconnected... I was disappointed, since I was pretty sure I would be able to finish him off. This feature sounds like a great solution! 

donngerard

thanks for the adjourn thing :)

likesforests

I visited Live chess today (after not using it for awhile) to try out the new feature, was disconnected on move nine for 30 seconds and assessed a loss. Grrr...

Hopefully this will be one of our Christmas presents. :)

Elubas

I'm starting to disconnect a lot. Shouldn't it be done by now? You're forcing me to play blitz.

drmr4vrmr

Have many clearly on the advantage and most probable wins and getting disconnected at the unopportune time. I tried reconnecting but as everyone probably know by now... that option does not work. So the 10 seconds is of no value. I think what the program should do is look at the position and make a judgment based on that whether the disconnection is program initiated or manual player disconnect to avoid losing the game. If it is a clear winner or most probable win based on position and material then the probable losing opponent should be given the chance to opt for continuance (wait for opponent to get back on) or a draw. In this case, draws should not award any points at all.. as if the game never happened.

On the other hand, if the disconnect is in the part of the probable losing party, then the program should award points to the probable winner, but likewise should accord this player the opportunity to get back.

If the program is now able to relink within the 10 seconds window, then that is well and good. No penalties should accrue to either party except when the disconnect is with the disadvantaged player.

drmr4vrmr

Elubas: you lucky dog. Since last week I believe I have been disconnected at least 12 times and none of them able to reconnect. If these plays are reviewed right now, it would show that 90 percent of them are clearly on the advantageous side (winning in position, material, and time). So my rating is in the dog pound. No matter, as long as the tournament ranking is not mingled with the live chess program... I am happy as a clam. LOL..

Saccadic

I really think Chess.com could deal with this by allowing someone 1 minute of time to re-connect to the server and continue from where they left off (with perhaps a time penalty depending on what game type is played -- quick, blitz, long). 

drmr4vrmr

i have been testing "resume" button. so far it has not worked. the last one, this PM I aborted after about 30 minutes. Unless, we can make the reconnection work with the minimum time, the solution is no solution at all.

drmr4vrmr

FYI: i have just been disconnected at 5:24am and clicked "resume". It is now 5:36am and the program is still saying "now logging in....". Which means I just lost again. My rating is now down to roughly 1300. Lol.

I will track the next disconnect to see any pattern of when it disconnects and how long it takes to reconnect via the resume button.

depuydevin
erik wrote:
aabbccdd wrote:

thank you all for your help and patience!

7 days?????????? Whoo would ever play a live chess game in 7 days??

friends who only met up 6 days later.

i would

drmr4vrmr

FYI: There were roughly 530 players. I was on live chess, and got disconnected at 6:29am. I cicked resume. It is now 6:40am and the program is still trying to reconnect me. My first disconnect for the day was at 5:24am.

derboesewolf

I don t really care about the specifics which it seems Eric spent a good deal of time thinking about, but will be quite happy as long as there will be a chance to reconnect.

For me it would be ok if the time just keeps running, the 30 secs or so I lose would be my penalty and my opponent wouldn t suffer any disadvantage, the clock could just keep running but I would not lose the game inmediately.

halbhh

When the Chess server disconnects both players, letting the lucky one that reconnects first have a win just for trying to reconnect over and over has no fairness.  Such games should be automatically adjourned or aborted.  No effortless wins for only reconnecting first.

UtahPaul

I have not been playing with chess.com for long, but I am surprised how often people disconnect when they are losing. I was glad to see that at least two of them were flagged as disconnecters this evening. In five cases today, my opponent had fallen significantly behind when they disconnected.

It's not too bad when playing a 5/2 game, but I can see how annoying it would be in a 10 minute or more game. A 90 second delay before they lose the game is reasonable.

DefinitelyNotGM

Nobody will adjourn in a single disconnect, they'd claim a win

mapearson1990

As well as sounding as if it has been thought out thoughroughly and to be as fair and reasonable as possible, these rules will also make longer time controls more viable in Live Chess as you are less likely to be forced to wait 20 mins to claim a fair win. As someone looking to play time controls of 45-45 and higher, these changes seem to be for the better. Thanks for the work both yourself and the chess.com staff continue to do to improve user experience. There are many who highly appreciate it.

BigOto

/!\ This thread describes outdated information. Please make a new thread.

DefinitelyNotGM
BigOto wrote:

/!\ This thread describes outdated information. Please make a new thread.

Stop impersonating mods.

halbhh

This is one area that other web sites do better: your game can be automatically adjourned, and it available to play later if opponent is online, and you get a popup notification where you can click "resume" or something like "not now" (paraphrase).