Forums

Chess.com Mobile Site

Sort:
StacyBearden

I just got an iPhone, and I'm pushing for Erik and the crew to develop a mobile site for chess.com. Preferably one that will work on iPhone. Now, the regular site works fine except for the text entry fields (where you type your forum posts and such) and the chess boards which randomly work. So that's a bunch of noncompliance.

(It should be not too difficult since all the site coding is done. They would just have to make a portal view of 320 wide and pop the code inside that. Maybe reconstruct things a bit. Sorry for the boring geek talk, and sorry if its harder than that.)

Anyway, post something below if you would like to be able to log on with your mobile device, a phone or something, and make your game moves and post. Maybe enough posts will get Erik on my side. ;)

By the way: you should see all the sites adding mobile companion portals: m.ebay.com, fox news has one, most banks, etc.

THANKS 

erik
i'd love to do this and i had somebody who was working on it but it has been slow through the holiday. again - it is a trade off of time and resources. we can work on iphone compliance for 5% of our users, or we can work on live chess for 100% of our users :) i wish we had unlimited resources!!
Loomis
Didn't apple put out a commercial that said the iphone takes you to the Internet and not some mobile version of the internet, or watered down version of the internet, etc. I don't have an iphone, but it sounds like that's not really accurate.
Thijs
erik wrote: i wish we had unlimited resources!!

So Santa didn't bring you unlimited resources this year? Frown Wink Maybe you'll get them next year, but only if you behave and implement a dozen new features! Laughing

StacyBearden
I say you work for the 5%. Just kidding.
apesquared

My 2 cents - start a poll as follows, and use the results to decide whether or not you invest your resources in this. Personally it is a feature that I would pay for...

Would you use a mobile version of chess.com, and on which platform?

* iPhone

* Blackberry

* Windows CE

* Not interested

shadowslayer
the last one
erik
blackberry :( but i'm holding out for google android phones this year!
StacyBearden
You could just build a version with few bells and whistles using HTML and Java, light graphics, and size it to a viewport of 320. My company is now selling mobile sites, and they work on all mobile platforms. You don't have to pick and choose any more. It would be great to be able to log in to a mobile version that was your home page with just quick links, and it would be great to be able to make your moves for games on your phone. I can hardly *ever* get the chess java going on my phone. I think it worked two times ever.
Richman
rdallison wrote:

My 2 cents - start a poll as follows, and use the results to decide whether or not you invest your resources in this. Personally it is a feature that I would pay for...

* iPhone

* Blackberry

* Windows CE

* Not interested

add moto q to this list it could support those features

ChessCoach
another iPhone user looking for chess support.
PawnItOff

I just got a windows 6 smartphone... and I can't login to the site from internet explorer for some reason.  Is it because it's a mobile device?

If so, mark me down as someone who would love to have access with my smartphone.  

fpiantini
rdallison wrote:

* iPhone

* Blackberry

* Windows CE

* Not interested

None of the above, but I'm interested in using a mobile version of Chess.com on a Linux based Nokia N800/N810 internet tablet. The current version of the site works quite well with that device, but I think that thinks can be a lot better if the pages of the site will be optimized to work with low/medium resolution screens.

golem3

Any mobile support would be greatly appreciated, especially the Iphone.

I'd be happy to pay 80$ a year to get a mobile version of my turn-based chess games.

erik
if enough people pay the $80, we'll be able to do it :)
golem3
Well the new iPhone is getting really popular and will be accessible to more people who certainly didn't own the first one, Erik.
Mindartis7

i would love to have a iPhone version of chess.com!  chess mentor would even more incredible! 

Pawn_mower

douglownote

I would love this.

Also, are there any free cell phone apps for playing computer chess that isn't full of cheesey graphics or have a really really bad AI?

Mindartis7

I agree.  The future is iPhone and it's websites and apps (or devices like it) .  Everyone used to laugh at me about the iPod.  I told them they would eventually own one and everyone else... and I was right.  

The same with the iPhone!

The basic site is quite functional and so far so good!!

Spiffe

I have an iPhone, and while it would be nice to have a mobile version of any site, I usually don't have too much trouble navigating the regular site in Safari.  I can certainly get in to play my Online games without issue.  I haven't really tried Live on it, but I would worry about the connection/latency.

If you're looking for a decent app, I'm enjoying Caissa Chess so far.  It's not free ($9.99), but the AI is an enjoyable opponent -- scales well by difficulty level, and makes "reasonable" moves for the appropriate strength.