Forums

Create a Promotional Chess.com Video and Win $1,000!!

Sort:
nonowho
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
DeepGreene wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:

This has just turned into a thumb war. People are automatically disliking everyone else's videos. We have to decide the winner differently.

Why are you guys counting Dislikes as demerits? The rules don't say anything about dislikes. Haters gonna hate, but it doesn't have to count. :)

Agreed. It should be only positive votes. People are just disliking each others' videos. Also, Youtube sucks. My views froze at 381. People are viewing and adding comments yet the views have been stuck there since yesterday. FML!

no youtube dosen't suck 

youtube has trillions   of hours of video 

and it is still counting your video views but is is not showing them 

If you want to see the correct #of views go to your name on the top right corner

click on your name and under it you will see a list of things like my channel and 

my video  click on my video then It will go to a page with your video's true 

views

TD-I-Prevail
nonowho wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
DeepGreene wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:

This has just turned into a thumb war. People are automatically disliking everyone else's videos. We have to decide the winner differently.

Why are you guys counting Dislikes as demerits? The rules don't say anything about dislikes. Haters gonna hate, but it doesn't have to count. :)

Agreed. It should be only positive votes. People are just disliking each others' videos. Also, Youtube sucks. My views froze at 381. People are viewing and adding comments yet the views have been stuck there since yesterday. FML!

no youtube dosen't suck 

If you want to see the correct #of views go to your name on the top right corner

click on your name and under it you will see a list of things like my channel and 

views

But how will I win the contest if only I can see my true number of views?

Also, I knew that and it shows the same number. That number hasn't gone up since yesterday.

WIP_Ihateyou
[COMMENT DELETED]
trysts

If you don't mention pdela, or LisaV in your video, it is immediately disqualified. Please keep that in mindSmile

nonowho
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
nonowho wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
DeepGreene wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:

no youtube dosen't suck 

views

Also, I knew that and it shows the same number. That number hasn't gone up since yesterday.

other than that i can't help you

Aloizia
You_haxored_me
[COMMENT DELETED]
Timotheous

Yeah, like totally man. It is so ambiguous for at least the following reasons:

1. What is the whole point? Well ok, it is to promote chess.com so more people join the site and some of them spend some money.
  2. What site is being promoted? Well ok, Chess.com.
  3. What is the prize? Well, ok, $1,000.
  4. What are the rules? Well, ok, the whole point was to be no-holds-barred and to unlease our creativity.
  5. What if it is so close between two videos and you need a library sized set of IRS like legal books to decide between the two videos based on technicalities and rules? (Because of course the intent wasn't to spure everyone's creativity to hopefully spur on the creation of a video that goes viral and is a few orders of magnitude more popular than all the others.)
  6. But seriously, what were you thinking? You didn't even specify which fork to use to eat my steak with? (Oh, yeah, this is a chess site, my bad.)
ROOKEMYO
You_haxored_me wrote:

The rules are so ambiguous. You say that one can upload a blank screen (in the comments), as long as it has the most views? So it doesn't even have to mention chess.com?
This point isn't very clear. The rules say I have to make one type of video, and then say it can be anything at all. The comments are conflicting as well.

kohai responded to someone with
"Post 1 - Make it informational and explain the site." Implying that was required. What post 1?
chesscom-video-and-win-1000?page=3

I could upload ANYTHING? and just have a link in the description, or nothing at all? Or use a video I made 5 years ago that ALREADY has more views and likes than anyone could possibly beat in time? I could just put a text over any existing video that say go to chess.com. There's no start date mentioned for when the video has to have been uploaded.
As it stands, I have no incentive to bother making a good video since I know how little that matter to popularity.

Will you own the videos? Can I delete them the second the contest is over?
How do dislikes factor in? Are they ignored?

Can you clarify any of these issues?

Youtube also doesn't update views in real time after the 300 mark. So when you go to count the views and thumbs up. The true number will be different if it takes you a few hours to count them all if you get enough video entries. I.e., the last person you count may have the most recently updated viewcount getting an advantage over others. Sometimes youtube won't update the viewcount for hours or days even. But it's not the same for everyone.

Otherwise I can almost assure myself a "Positive views" score of at least 150,000 to maybe even 1,000,000 in a week. Yeah, it would be considered cheating by any normal standard there is, but it's set up for that as of now.

Would I find myself disqualified if it's obvious that no one could have done that under normal circumstances and I just wasted all my time?

Also, what of the page here for seeing everyone's videos? Are the people at the top of the list getting an unfair advantage since they are more likely to be clicked on than people who entered later on? If the list is not randomized for each page refresh, then it would be.

When is the counting going to start? At 12:01am of Jan 1? When does it end.

Honestly, I've seen 12 year olds with more sophisticated rules for entering contests on youtube. And those were for shout-outs.

This contest is so ambiguous.

so could you go ahead and hook me up with thse 1,000,000,000 views please? that would be great, thanks yo!

engmsosman

this competition is a genius advertisement! :)
well,here is my video: CHESS OUT OF THE BOX :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTd3FZO71U

ROOKEMYO
engmsosman wrote:

this competition is a genius advertisement! :)
well,here is my video: CHESS OUT OF THE BOX :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTd3FZO71U

That was fun yo, thumbs up from me bro 

ROOKEMYO

ROUND 2 YO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYmPrWiErxg

DabbiTaylor

This competition is without a doubt the single most brilliant promo I've laid eyes upon.

I ran some numbers, forgive me if they are incorrect;

I read somewhere that Chess.com has an estimate of 4 million users. Lets give ourselves that half of them log in on a regular basis and lets say a little 3% of the 2 million regular users decide to try their luck in the competition. I'd say it reasonable to suggest that each vid would get around 100 views on average.

According to these 'hypothetical' numbers (which seem very reasonable to me) Chess.com has reached out to around 20.000.000 people for a little $1000

chess.com I salut you!

wannabe2700
DabbiTaylor wrote:

This competition is without a doubt the single most brilliant promo I've laid eyes upon.

I ran some numbers, forgive me if they are incorrect;

I read somewhere that Chess.com has an estimate of 4 million users. Lets give ourselves that half of them log in on a regular basis and lets say a little 3% of the 2 million regular users decide to try their luck in the competition. I'd say it reasonable to suggest that each vid would get around 100 views on average.

According to these 'hypothetical' numbers (which seem very reasonable to me) Chess.com has reached out to around 20.000.000 people for a little $1000

chess.com I salut you!

Dude no.

Gm_andrewfeng
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
nonowho wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:
DeepGreene wrote:
TD-I-Prevail wrote:

no youtube dosen't suck 

views

This has been flagged as spam.

Gm_andrewfeng
ROOKEMYO wrote:
You_haxored_me wrote:

The rules are so ambiguous. You say that one can upload a blank screen (in the comments), as long as it has the most views? So it doesn't even have to mention chess.com?
This point isn't very clear. The rules say I have to make one type of video, and then say it can be anything at all. The comments are conflicting as well.

kohai responded to someone with
"Post 1 - Make it informational and explain the site." Implying that was required. What post 1?
chesscom-video-and-win-1000?page=3

I could upload ANYTHING? and just have a link in the description, or nothing at all? Or use a video I made 5 years ago that ALREADY has more views and likes than anyone could possibly beat in time? I could just put a text over any existing video that say go to chess.com. There's no start date mentioned for when the video has to have been uploaded.
As it stands, I have no incentive to bother making a good video since I know how little that matter to popularity.

Will you own the videos? Can I delete them the second the contest is over?
How do dislikes factor in? Are they ignored?

Can you clarify any of these issues?

Youtube also doesn't update views in real time after the 300 mark. So when you go to count the views and thumbs up. The true number will be different if it takes you a few hours to count them all if you get enough video entries. I.e., the last person you count may have the most recently updated viewcount getting an advantage over others. Sometimes youtube won't update the viewcount for hours or days even. But it's not the same for everyone.

Otherwise I can almost assure myself a "Positive views" score of at least 150,000 to maybe even 1,000,000 in a week. Yeah, it would be considered cheating by any normal standard there is, but it's set up for that as of now.

Would I find myself disqualified if it's obvious that no one could have done that under normal circumstances and I just wasted all my time?

Also, what of the page here for seeing everyone's videos? Are the people at the top of the list getting an unfair advantage since they are more likely to be clicked on than people who entered later on? If the list is not randomized for each page refresh, then it would be.

When is the counting going to start? At 12:01am of Jan 1? When does it end.

Honestly, I've seen 12 year olds with more sophisticated rules for entering contests on youtube. And those were for shout-outs.

This contest is so ambiguous.

so could you go ahead and hook me up with thse 1,000,000,000 views please? that would be great, thanks yo!

Aloizia

Please 'likeit' if you like it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9ykfxgJ5U

alexanderpetrov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YKbsJdZQjk

My video.

Please watch and rate(hope you will like it:)

Skofe

HERES MY ENTRY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9SQCB30Vw

Please thumbs up ! :) 

tommcgrath
Aloizia wrote:

Please 'likeit' if you like it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9ykfxgJ5U

cool nice 1 aloi