Forums

First memeber

Sort:
masteryoda

Just curious,

Who was the first public member on chess.com? (Besides any of the staff)

Thanks

Mygame5377

Me

staggerlee
Mygame5377 wrote:

Me

Liar.

bgianis

Only the stuff can answer this question.Is anyone of the staff online to tell?

CrazyTactics

Eric and Jay, they are the 1st member Laughing

masteryoda
CrazyTactics wrote:

Eric and Jay, they are the 1st member 

I know, but I just want to know who was the first member from outside staff??

bgianis
masteryoda wrote:

Who was the first public member on chess.com? (Besides any of the staff)

Chessroshi

If everyone else deletes their names, I'll be first, I'll be king monkey!! I'm gonna check with Erik and see if when next time they do an update, if he could load my profile back onto the server first, that way, for a brief millisecond of time, I could have the highest rating on chess.com.Laughing

billwall

One would have to look at each member's profile and see who is the earliest.  My profile says I was a member since May 18, 2007.  Now, who was earlier?

Rael

When I was initially thinking about the answer, I thought BillWall would've been a close contender.

Erik's join date was May 7th.

The earliest non-staff member I could find was Mauzon on May 10th and Chessbot on May 11th, difficulty being that Mauzon only stayed for a day - so while he was certainly one of the earliest to create an account, I'm not sure we could really call him a "member".

Most of what my investigation is turning up is that many of the earliest "active" posters had join dates in June and July. I'll keep looking.

Maradonna

I wondered about this too. When the site started out there must of only been a really small group of people. Or, like you say, if your first, who do you play?

I love the idea of the first person signing up and having nobody to play against :)

masteryoda

found it!! It was Peter, who doesn't have staff on his account, but if you read it, you see he works for chess.com ( for tacos!!) joined on 5/7/07

the real public member is fobshady ........ last online 2/4/08 though. First public premium member was geoff. I found this info here: http://www.chess.com/members/search.html?general=&name=&country=&allnew=&online=&mostactive=&sortby=join_date&page=35480

I went to members, and sorted by join date, and found it.

Now, let's see the member who can post here and claim it. Will be closed on January 1st, or when fobshady posts.

Currently, it's billwall who claimed it...

Rael

Okay whomever wants to help me out - the process of narrowing this down is simple. Go to a category of threads and go straight to the oldest thread in that category and look at the people posting.

I've already done this with eriks oldest threads, which is how I found Mauzon - but get this, the next place I checked out was the Help & Support forum and would you believe it but once upon a time the ability to view your sent messages was once a suggested improvement.

My we've come a long way.

/back to the seach

masteryoda
Rael wrote:

When I was initially thinking about the answer, I thought BillWall would've been a close contender.

Erik's join date was May 7th.

The earliest non-staff member I could find was Mauzon on May 10th and Chessbot on May 11th, difficulty being that Mauzon only stayed for a day - so while he was certainly one of the earliest to create an account, I'm not sure we could really call him a "member".

Most of what my investigation is turning up is that many of the earliest "active" posters had join dates in June and July. I'll keep looking.

Chessbot works for chess.com

Rael

Great work masteryoda! I thought I remebered a search by join date sortable category... why when I go to

http://www.chess.com/members/

does it not display? Dagnammit, here I thought I was being clever and it was the simplest operation ever.

/still going to explore some old threads...

Rael

Kevin could claim it. He's been here pretty recently, one of the oldest. Someone could tip him off, haha.

masteryoda
Rael wrote:

Great work masteryoda! I thought I remebered a search by join date sortable category... why when I go to

http://www.chess.com/members/

does it not display? Dagnammit, here I thought I was being clever and it was the simplest operation ever.

/still going to explore some old threads...

here's how I did it... first, I searched any random member. After it shows that member, backspace the member you searched for's name. Then,  and you'll see 'sort by' click it and go to Join date. After that, hit enter and you'll see all chess.com members. Last, go to the last couple pages. Hope this helps

masteryoda

This membere has been online today, and joined 5/10/07. It's ACitizenofCamberia

masteryoda

another one................... andy has been online today, joined 5/9/07......... but he is a graphic designor.......... so he works for chess.com.............................but one could argue that I work for chess.com by posting stuff......... and that's not and's real profession.....................so I guess he counts...Right?

amac7079

if someone joined and left, you wouldnt be able to find a record, isnt that correct? by the way, whoever it is, most likely knows Erik on a friend level as no one would really know the start date of the site on day one and it would have been unsearchable or would have had a dummy page set up. so i would look for a California member or a an experienced chess afficianado (like billwall) as most likely the first