Forums

How did a 1699 rated player end up in a 1001 - 1200 rated tournament?

Sort:
PhoenixArisen

http://www.chess.com/tournament/18th-chesscom-quick-knockouts-1001-1200

Group #5

I don't understand how this makes any sense...

Scottrf

Yeah he should have been automatically moved when it started.

MJH25

That is strange - they must have finished a bunch of games at once or something, but I've never seen a rating rise that fast.  My guess is chess.com made a mistake.  They shouldn't have registered for that section anyway.  I agree with you - that doesn't make any sense.

PhoenixArisen

Yeah, it's weird - I see a bunch of others that are WAY over too.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if people are a little but over. And I like playing people who are better than me. I usually play 1400ish rated players. I'd just like to have a decent chance in a tournament for once...

RetiFan

Actually, rating bursts can occur from time to time, and it's him who's in danger. If he wins he increases by +1 and if he loses you get a lot of points! So, it's your chance to get a good win, go get it!

Scottrf

It wasn't a rating burst though, his rating was over 1600 when the tournament started.

PhoenixArisen

Maybe I'm missing something, but looking back over his previous games it doesn't look like he ever had a rating close to 1200....

ChessforCharityonYouTube

I wondered that with a 1200-1400 tournament that I am in as well. I think there is a way to cheat the system that i am just not aware of. There is a person ranked like 18xx in my tournament. That kind of discourages me because I will more than likely lose if we ever meet. :( Rating bursts would explain a few over, but not more than that. I think. :)

PhoenixArisen

So how does one go about alerting chess.com staff about this?

MJH25

Send them an email at help@chess.com?

PhoenixArisen

Thanks Malachi!