Forums

New Chess.com Site for Kids => www.ChessKid.com !

Sort:
JuicyJ72

As for the site making sense, I think it makes a lot of sense.  My kids are 5 and 7 (K and 2nd Grade).  They have the Chesster intro software which is good.  But they like to do problems and it's great to have a site where they can get things geared at their level.  They swiped my Renfield book even though they can't do most of those Laughing  I've had them do some of the easy Chess Mentor lessons on chess.com and they like that to.  They also like easier checkmate problems so maybe the kids site can have more of those.  I've also noticed they are very likely to overlook threats and there's not a lot of easy problems like that on chess.com tactics trainer.  More of those on the kids site would be great.  They might watch some video lessons geared for kids, the articles are the least likely to get attention.

erik

excellent feedback, jlueke! have your kids tried the site yet? was it easy for them to get around?

kco

jlueke-"They might watch some video lessons geared for kids, the articles are the least likely to get attention." maybe it could have a cartoon character in it ?

amitprabhale

Hello Erik,

Thanks a loads for this new site. I am gonna open an A/c for my Sis, as I wnt her 2understand wht chess is! She's 17yrs. and all she know is, Chess is a game of Black and White Pieces. Will U allow her? I hope U do. And m I eligible for parents A/c as except me nobody else understand the Game? Pls reply.

Thanks agn Smile

Kacparov

Can I join as a coach? :)

jaysie

I'm a teacher. Teaching chess to kids .. Can i join?

Kacparov

What I don't like is that we start with a rating of 600, while the stats say "highest rating 1200". Btw, do I get free membership as a titled player there? lol

philidorposition

"Improve your IQ & sportsmanship!"

Sportsmanship, yes, but IQ, I'm not sure. Is chess known for improving IQ?

JuicyJ72

erik, yes they can get around.  They'll associate the graphics with the tool so that shouldn't be an issue. 

kco, articles are a bit tricky.  Obviously a Kindergardener can only read 3 letter words.  By age 8-10 reading won't be an issue, but I don't know if there's a lot of ches sliterature geared for children that young.  The visual stuff in computer workout and tactics trainer is easier.  But articles for older kids makes sense they just need to be written right.  Same with videos really, you may not want IM Rensch going full speed for a kid.  Maybe a little slower, shorter and calmer :-)

One thing my kids to respond to is levels.  I don't know if you could add a pawn-king icon scale to match the rating (in the chesster video games elos are little bugs).  That way they could start out as pawns and every two hundred points move up. 

What would be really nice, but probably hard to code in a web based interface, would be if tactics trainer stopped after a mistake and then showed the category of tactic that was missed and after looking at the solution offered a similar problem.  Adults can handle this on their own but for kids a guided lesson on what they missed and a second problem to reenforce the concept might work well.

dpruess

yes, coaches can join, that's why there is the "coaches" button!

titled players will get free upgrades just like on chess.com.

jlueke, thanks again for the feedback. i think we will be able to produce age-appropriate articles. but it will take some work to get them good. if there is not much chess literature aimed at 8-10, that's great, it just means our stuff will be fulfilling an even greater need.

:)

jay

Parents/Coaches now start with a 1200 rating, and the highest rating bug being 1200 when you're rated 600 to start is now fixed. thanks!

play vs computer has also been improved and new computer workout problems added!

erik
tooeasy1 wrote:

Hold on...can't you transfer our current usernames/passwords/game archives/Elo rating/forum posts etc. on there? I don't really want to create a second account on a sister site.

nope - we can't. the sites aren't really meant to overlap like that. its a site for kids and parents and coaches, and you interact differently there. 

Deranged

I am CuriousLizard!!!

hanngo

*groans*

I forgot my username.

SO hard to remember

Kacparov

I somehow managed to remember it  (for 1 day) :)

ArtNJ

Lil chess partner now announces checkmate which is great, but it still doesnt announce check.  Also, "easy" is definitely too hard for the bottom level.  

buster47
LYCAN148 wrote:

*groans*

I forgot my username.

SO hard to remember

I just have to look of my wife as mine is "FatBacon" Innocent

DRcheckmate

i think i was the first member my account is commonrook

DRcheckmate

wait i was not the first one hey erik how do i check all the members in www.chesskid.com

DRcheckmate

im 9 i can join but  the live checss didnt work

I have an idea  for more members message all the people in the group kids only group

you'll prabably have all of those members joining at once lol