Forums

1700s Game - Please give feedback

Sort:
molinos

Here is a game I recently lost. I've added my own annotations, including my thoughts throughout the game. It's always better for me to hear others' ideas, so if you have any comments, please post them! Thanks!

Overall ideas:

1. I got distracted during moves 18-20 by the white bishop and switched my focus from the whole board to a couple pieces. These moves should have gone something like: (This is posted in the analysis above) 18...Rfd8 19. Bb4 Rd5 20. Rad1 Rad8 21. Rxd5 Rxd5.

I don't have to worry about the pin on my knight here. My bishop is fine where it is. And if I end up having to move my bishop, the knight is still protected by the rook.

2. 28... Bxd4 was the worst move of the game for me. I should not have traded my bishop, as it would have been useful in the end game. And white's knight didn't pose as much of a threat as I thought it did. It should have gone something like: (This is posted in the analysis above too) 28... Rd8 29. Nc6 Rd7.

And now my bishop can come back go g7 and then f8 to help attack. Also, it's more difficult for white to get two passed pawns with the c-pawn. He has to go to more trouble to defend his c-pawn so that he can play b3.

30. Rd3 Bg7 31. b3 Bf8 32. c4 bxc4 33. bxc4 Rxd6 34. Rxd6 (if not, he loses his knight) Bxd6. And I am much better with my bishop against his knight.

Theblackpawn1

Suppose you do trade of your Bishop you need to get your King to the E/F-line ASAP so that white pawn is under attack. I actually think the trade of wasn't that bad especially because his got an isolated pawn except if he trades of his B pawn, but you got a rook+King to stop 2 pawns + rook which is possible imo.

Then you get an endgame of 4 pawns vs 2+ king which you might actually win?

Or you get this as an alternative situation

Which isn't bad either?

poet_d

I'm no sicilian player, (and am just a beginner, so forgive these beginners thoughts....) but that variation looks like a really passive opening for Black.

White in the game seems free to visit the Black side of the board with his pieces whenever he pleases and the only black member to make it across the center line is the lonely e pawn on move 33.

I'd guess that the point of the opening is to allow White the center initially, then use activity to challenge it later? Perhaps white was showing his stronger rating here by cutting off any activity, but I'd be lost having to defend (at least thats how it looks to me) for the entire game.

Nice game though, thanks for sharing.  Smile

molinos

Thank you Theblackpawn1 and poet666.

Theblackpawn1, your variation after 32...Ke8 was very helpful to me. I realize that during the game, I didn't even consider getting my king to the d7 square. I thought that the rook would have to attack first, so I was trying to approach it from the side via e6. Very good. Thank you.

Poet666, I appreciate your thoughts too. I was reflecting on this opening myself, realizing how passive it is. It's an opening that I'm very comfortable with, because I'm used to the kind of middle and end-games that it produces. But perhaps it's time I do some deep opening studies.

Thanks to the both of you!

molinos

Thank you very much, Chech558! Great instructive feedback.

mateologist
molinos wrote:

Thank you very much, Chech558! Great instructive feedback.

Excellant analysis : molinos  in the nardjolf  white has a space advantage in the center and free developement black must be sharp. White generally wants to play down the F file when castling kingside ( f4), you have the open C file. after you develope your queen bishop on the long diagonal , your strategic goal is pressure on the queenside i.e.  (Qc7) (Nd7-Nb6-Nc4)  Just to give you some ideas about the opening !   Wink