Forums

A position to evaluate

Sort:
-waller-

Anyway, thanks all for your evaluations, it was really helpful to get a bunch of players intuitive assessments of this position. It was a position I reached in analysis after the following sequence:

My initial impression was that White's camp is somewhat disorganised and that Black might have a slight edge here, but then I thought - I'm probably overestimating it - White has the two pieces for rook and pawn which might be useful.

It seems like the overall consensus was unclear - some people liked White, some Black. I think pretty much every post made an original point actually when listing the features to evaluate, so I got some good ideas! Thanks again for taking a look!

Corsair-x

What about the immediate 8...fxe4 ? After 9.dxe4 Bc5 (with the threat of Ng4 if white pushes to e5) 10.exd5 exd5 Black has the open e/f files to fight through and a pawn on d5, while white has no central pawns and seems a little less coordinated.

Ben_Dubuque

I personally like white in the position, if only because I am a weaker player and like the openness of the position

SebLeb0210

ba3 gains space

-waller-
Corsair-x wrote:

What about the immediate 8...fxe4 ? After 9.dxe4 Bc5 (with the threat of Ng4 if white pushes to e5) 10.exd5 exd5 Black has the open e/f files to fight through and a pawn on d5, while white has no central pawns and seems a little less coordinated.

This seems like a very playable option! Play would likely continue 11.Nb3 Bb6 and then maybe either 12.Be3 or 12.Bg5, where White does perhaps look a bit more coordinated than a couple of moves ago and is a tad more developed than Black, but this is very even as Black has no real problems.

-waller-
bongcloudftw wrote:

I have a very different opinion than most others. 

at first sight it seems to me white has disorganized pieces and after 1...c5 white has no plan. on second thought i cannot see what black can really do after 1...c5 and develop the bishop. c4 runs into nd4, while d4 seems bad for opening up the position to white's favor. black's other plan of moving his rook to the f file isn't powerful enough imo.

in the long run, white can play kh2 bg2 c3 qd2 rd1 and once his pieces are in the optimal squares he can trade queens and achieve a good position. hence i think white is better

Yeah, this is quite an interesting opinion! In actual fact I was afraid that this would be the prevalent opinion when I first posted it. It makes a lot of sense - does Black really have anything that will exploit the disorganisation of White's pieces, because in the long run White is sorting himself out.

waffllemaster

I like black for the ease of play.  In a situation where I could see where white's minors are going or what they're doing I might like white better.

For example. c5 Bb7 or Ba6 then connecting the rooks and going to work on the queenside, eventually pushing the pawns some more.

Even though it's 5 days old, interesting position.

waffllemaster
-waller- wrote:
bongcloudftw wrote:

I have a very different opinion than most others. 

at first sight it seems to me white has disorganized pieces and after 1...c5 white has no plan. on second thought i cannot see what black can really do after 1...c5 and develop the bishop. c4 runs into nd4, while d4 seems bad for opening up the position to white's favor. black's other plan of moving his rook to the f file isn't powerful enough imo.

in the long run, white can play kh2 bg2 c3 qd2 rd1 and once his pieces are in the optimal squares he can trade queens and achieve a good position. hence i think white is better

Yeah, this is quite an interesting opinion! In actual fact I was afraid that this would be the prevalent opinion when I first posted it. It makes a lot of sense - does Black really have anything that will exploit the disorganisation of White's pieces, because in the long run White is sorting himself out.

To me it's not so obvious.  Black isn't going to play c4 or d4 and just hand white squares for his pieces until he thinks he's getting something for it in return.

Yaroslavl

bongcloudftw wrote:

yeah that's the point-black cannot play c4/d4. black can't really do anything else (suggest a plan then?) while white can reorganize his forces. the plan of moving the rooks to the f file doesn't seem too effective to me as in my previous post. 

I would venture a (SWAG) Scientific Wild Ass Guess that after 18...c4 Black has a 4 vs. 3 pawn majority on the queenside and it will have a lot to do with the proceedings.

Ronald_Aprianto

A position to evalute. Why 1980 can defeated easily by 1585?

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=776802367

Ronald_Aprianto
-waller- wrote:

The position is:

So:

What would your evaluation of the position be? I don't have a "correct answer", so please don't expect one - I'm just looking for people's opinions!

Is my post was really helpful? Laughing

Ronald_Aprianto
-waller- wrote:

Anyway, thanks all for your evaluations, it was really helpful to get a bunch of players intuitive assessments of this position. It was a position I reached in analysis after the following sequence:

My initial impression was that White's camp is somewhat disorganised and that Black might have a slight edge here, but then I thought - I'm probably overestimating it - White has the two pieces for rook and pawn which might be useful.

It seems like the overall consensus was unclear - some people liked White, some Black. I think pretty much every post made an original point actually when listing the features to evaluate, so I got some good ideas! Thanks again for taking a look!

Is my post was really helpful?