Forums

All or Nothing

Sort:
9thEagle

This is a neat game I played a few days ago. I don't have a computer to analyze it with, but my opponent and I did spend a good 2 hours analyzing and recreating the game in the post mortem (it wasn't a casual game, so we didn't notate until after the game was finished, because it was such a crazy game). Would anyone mind telling me how me or my opponent could have improved? Thanks!

Irontiger

Ouch... Wild !

A computer would still be good, but here is what I can see.

2.Nc3 (?) is unambitous. Without the c4 push, you cannot exerce serious pressure against Black's center.

5.e4 was best answered by 5...c6 holding the center.

6...Nc6 (?) : 6...Bf5 with a probably good Caro-Kahn-ish position (compare with for instance 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6 gxf6 which is book). Here d5 is going to be a problem sooner or later.

9.c4 ?? loses a piece, when f3 holds everything, though with a better game for Black after 9.f3 0-0-0.

11.Qf3 loses less material, but it is just a piece down after 11...Qxf3 12.Nxf3 0-0-0, so I prefer the text.

14.Rd1 : I have the firm conviction that White should escape the perpetual or mate after 14.Qxa7, and thus should be winning. Something crazy like 14.Qxa7 Qg3+ 15.Ke2 Bd3+ 16.Kd2 but this is such a mess you should rather trust a computer.

23.Ke2 ! looks winning (again, check needed - pun intended)

In the 23...Qe3+ variant, you miss the shorter 26...Qxb4#.

9thEagle

Thanks! 2.Nc3 is the veresov, and I've found that it suits my style.

If you feel that at move 14, white should be winning, why do you like the greedy move 11...Qxh1 better? Is there some way black could have prevented what was coming? But after 14. Qxa7 comes 14...Qd2+ (Instead of Qg3+)15. Kf1 Bd3+ 16.Ne2 Qxe2+ 17. Kg2 Rg8+ 18. Kh1 Qg2#. Unless you saw something I missed?

And after 23. Ke2, what happens if black follows up with 23...Qh2+ 24.Ke3 Re1+ 25. Ne2 Qg1+, and black wins the queen and eliminates the mating threat? Or did I miss something?

Thanks!

Irontiger

"It suits my style" could justify any opening, so find another excuse. "It yields positions I am familiar with" is very different, and much more acceptable.

Your lines after 23.Ke2 and 14.Qxa7 ?? are proofs you should run it through an engine instead of trusting me. Embarassed

No, really, I am usually against using engines for analysis, but there, the computer is needed to sort out that mess.

9thEagle

Can't one justify any opening? But yes, it does yield positions that I am comfortable with, with crazy games like this one. So those lines are good?

Irontiger
9thEagle wrote:

Can't one justify any opening?

Hmmm... You really want me to post something realy ugly ? No. (well, not with good reasons at least).

Your lines look ok to me, yes.