Forums

Analysis + Bishop for Knight to Gain Centre

Sort:
Top_Hat

Hi,

I have annoted the game above so please can you take a look and provide some of your valuable analysis!

In particular move 9, where I took a knight for a bishop. I want your opinion on whether this is correct, because I have learnt that trading bishops for knights is discouraged as the bishop pair is powerful and you can open up games more easily than close them and then use your bishop pair to good effect in the open game. However, I felt that with his lack of development this would really help me gain good control of the centre of the board and give him a weak pawn.

Thank you very much in advance,

Top_Hat

eddysallin
Top_Hat wrote:

Hi,

I have annoted the game above so please can you take a look and provide some of your valuable analysis!

In particular move 9, where I took a knight for a bishop. I want your opinion on whether this is correct, because I have learnt that trading bishops for knights is discouraged as the bishop pair is powerful and you can open up games more easily than close them and then use your bishop pair to good effect in the open game. However, I felt that with his lack of development this would really help me gain good control of the centre of the board and give him a weak pawn.

Thank you very much in advance,

b. x n. exchange is a Question of why it's done and how the board looks.           white may play nd5,nxn,bxn

Top_Hat
Cogwheel wrote:

My thoughts. I added a few annotations and variations.

Thanks a lot for the great analysis :)

I definitely agree that h4 was a better way to get an attack going. However, with regards to the light squared bishop getting trapped on the left, below I have added the situation I wanted to avoid and why I felt I had to play a3:

Top_Hat

Either it's my internet or my posts are coming out really wierd. Thanks for the analysis and click move list above to see why I felt I had to play a3 (move 4).