Forums

Chess mentor blooper

Sort:
MDOC777

MDOC777

But the last move should have been f5, not two or three moves before.  :)

netzach

Earlier exchange of white e-pawn for black f-pawn has occured correct.

No move-list in chess-mentor you read the comment & begin the lesson from that point in the game...

AndyClifton

Looks like another case for En Passant...

MDOC777

netzach, truth.  It's just bad wording.  f5 was not Black's last move, else there would be something on f5, like White's piece.  It looks obvious this exchange was at least two moves ago, because f5 square is empty.

netzach

agree, dig Sam Shankland up about it !  Smile

AndyClifton

Maybe that's why he was still only an IM.

MDOC777

Andy, en passant makes sense.

AndyClifton

I had a feeling that's what was going on. Smile

MDOC777

Yes, I agree, but it was still at least two moves ago because now the Black Bishop is on f6 square.

AndyClifton

ef Bxf6

MDOC777

...f5

exf e.p.  Bxf6

Two moves ago.

AndyClifton

And then White played Bh3...and voila (bear in mind, if you don't know this already, that "ef Bxf6" is considered one full move).

MDOC777

Yes, but how did you know White played Bh3?  There's a move list?

Anyhow, from Black's perspective, as I outlined previously, 2 moves ago (or 1.5 moves!)

AndyClifton

Sorry, but to me at any rate 1.5 moves ago does not equal 2 moves ago. Smile

And presumably White has just played Bh3 (otherwise he could've played Bxe6+ after capturing en passant).

Cystem_Phailure
MDOC777 wrote:

It's just bad wording.  f5 was not Black's last move, else there would be something on f5, like White's piece.  It looks obvious this exchange was at least two moves ago, because f5 square is empty.

So what?  It doesn't say the exchange happened on the previous move.  It says the exchange happened recently.  The only person blabbing on about the immediately preceding move is you.

philidorposition

It says "black has recently played f5." So why don't you take it as, "oh, ok, so black has recently played f5" but assume it just has to mean black has played f5 on the previous move?

it's not bad wording. It's bad reading.

MDOC777
philidor_position wrote:

it's not bad wording. It's bad reading.

lol, OK, OK.