Forums

Hopton Attack against the Dutch

Sort:
NjallGlundubh

I think i could have won this game but made a few mistakes earlier and had to find a way to win tacticaly the best i could at 5 min... but i think the Hopton Attack is the best against the Dutch...

jerry2468

alright a plum and peach

grolich

well, Bg5-h4 is a fine idea, but in that line, the g5 and Bxg5 idea (as a sacrifice)..... You can't really play it on impulse anytime it happens. In some positions it's just winning for white in others it's just winning for black.

I think it's pretty clear that in this case, 7.Bxg5 is just winning for black. No compensation for the material deficit, as you don't get the normal attack as you usually do against this variation (because the strange defense black has chosen, but you could have kept an edge with normal moves against it).

Black should just continue with 8...Bb7 and not only have you lost a piece and have no way to get a second one into the attack (no Qh5 this time...) but your rook is under attack now and also Q can't enter via f3 for the time being. I'd say black can just win that way.

There is a very interesting idea that keeps the game in balance I believe:

After 6....g5 you can play 7.Ne5!?. The idea is that with the h pawn blocking the h file, Qh5 idea means that black can't take the bishop. Position would be very complicated something like 7...Nf6 8.Qf3 with mutual threats. I have no idea what's going on here. No one seems to be clearly winning though:)

Black's 8...e6 is really bad, as it gives you the opportunity to get some (maybe not enough...but some) compensation for the piece  by playing Qf3 in tempo (threatening HIS rook on a8, which is the reverse of him playing ...Bb7). Again, after not doing so, you're just a piece down again without enough compensation.

There were many mistakes by both sides after that, but largely, black kept a nice advantage (which changed from winning to big and back again) all the way to move 32.

32...Rxb6 ?? was a horrible mistake. enough to make a winning position into a lost one. Just 32...Kb8 still leaves black with a winning material advantage with no real king problems.

I think you missed the chance to get a very nice advantage in the early opening:

after 5...b6 you can play 6.Ne5!?, and just like that, black is forced to give away his g7 bishop for that knight:). ANYTHING else loses.

g6 is under attack, and there's no way to defend it otherwise (...g5 Qh5), and with that pawn the entire black's king position falls to pieces. Without any sacrifice at all:)

NjallGlundubh
grolich wrote:

well, Bg5-h4 is a fine idea, but in that line, the g5 and Bxg5 idea (as a sacrifice)..... You can't really play it on impulse anytime it happens. In some positions it's just winning for white in others it's just winning for black.

I think it's pretty clear that in this case, 7.Bxg5 is just winning for black. No compensation for the material deficit, as you don't get the normal attack as you usually do against this variation (because the strange defense black has chosen, but you could have kept an edge with normal moves against it).

Black should just continue with 8...Bb7 and not only have you lost a piece and have no way to get a second one into the attack (no Qh5 this time...) but your rook is under attack now and also Q can't enter via f3 for the time being. I'd say black can just win that way.

There is a very interesting idea that keeps the game in balance I believe:

After 6....g5 you can play 7.Ne5!?. The idea is that with the h pawn blocking the h file, Qh5 idea means that black can't take the bishop. Position would be very complicated something like 7...Nf6 8.Qf3 with mutual threats. I have no idea what's going on here. No one seems to be clearly winning though:)

Black's 8...e6 is really bad, as it gives you the opportunity to get some (maybe not enough...but some) compensation for the piece  by playing Qf3 in tempo (threatening HIS rook on a8, which is the reverse of him playing ...Bb7). Again, after not doing so, you're just a piece down again without enough compensation.

There were many mistakes by both sides after that, but largely, black kept a nice advantage (which changed from winning to big and back again) all the way to move 32.

32...Rxb6 ?? was a horrible mistake. enough to make a winning position into a lost one. Just 32...Kb8 still leaves black with a winning material advantage with no real king problems.

I think you missed the chance to get a very nice advantage in the early opening:

after 5...b6 you can play 6.Ne5!?, and just like that, black is forced to give away his g7 bishop for that knight:). ANYTHING else loses.

g6 is under attack, and there's no way to defend it otherwise (...g5 Qh5), and with that pawn the entire black's king position falls to pieces. Without any sacrifice at all:)

Thanks!!!

Thepasswordis1234

honestly, all was great until g3