Forums

this video helped me instantly jump 100 points

Sort:
johnny_r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWdMqvGMxF4

I found this video fascinating. Watched it last night and applied its principles this very next game. Although I played poorly and blundered I managed to draw a game against an opponent 100 points higher ( the highest rated player i've played on this site so far).  I highly recommend this video. Notice I sac'd a piece and just like in the youtube video on move 32 of my game my opponent's pieces were spectators.

ponz111

If you run the game backwards you will gain 200 rating points!

[only a little joke...]

If the video helped you that is fine but what were the specific areas where you were helped?

lmorsino

Its great that it helped you, but you could have ended the game much earlier with 20 ... Qf2+ 21 Kh3 Rh8#

johnny_r

Yes lmorsino i did miss that, ( I ran a computer analysis after the game and noticed the blunders). I think we both played poorly but that's not the point. The point is I would have gotten destroyed by that opponent if not for the youtube video.

@ponz111 develop the pieces and plan a coordinated attack instead of seeking a material advantage. In my game I was down a hole piece for a long time while keeping a positional advantage. I even offered my bishop at one point for tempo but he declined. All of that I got from that youtube video.

ponz111

It is great that one video helped you so much!

I will make one comment. It is fine to plan a coordinaated attack but

you can also sometimes try for a material advantage.  You have to know how to do both...

PatzerLars

How about watching it a second time so you get another 100 ?

johnny_r

@PatzerLars hahahaha

@ponz111 thanks, how come you're unrated? I'd like to know if you've been in the line of fire before I take your advice.

lmorsino

I mean this with all due respect, so please don't take offense -

I think the video makes a good point, however, if you are not skilled enough to find an obvious checkmate in 2, then I would be hesitant to adopt a strategy that ignores material gains for a positional advantage until your tactics have improved to the point where you can identify and exploit such an advantage

johnny_r

hey lmorsino no offense taken. I've been playing chess seriously for a few months now.  I prefer to play quality chess to the best of my ability as early on as possible instead of premature attacks and tactic heavy blitz tricks. I'm proud of that draw and attribute it to the youtube video. Don't forget i was under a 1000 just a few months ago. And as much as i hate comparing my games in any way to those of kasparov did you not see that blunder he made against Anand? It happens to everyone. I rather learn the right theory from the beginning and not stress over blunders. Tactics are obviously important i don't disagree but i personally learned more from that video than a month of doing chess.com tactics.