Forums

What could I of done better (1100 10 min)

Sort:
Tom102
Hi there, just trying to improve. Anything I could of done which would of giving me a massive advantage?

Thanks in advance :)

I thought that I was lucky that he accepted the draw. The constant pin of my knight on my queen left me at a massive disadvantage.

nickmatta

Against the Philidor Defense (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6), white almost always plays 3. d4 and in general I would advise trying to come up with a plan to try to play d4 when you have played 1. e4. As I'm sure you've probably heard before, you need to fight for the center and as white you should do so aggressively. Moves like a3, b4, b5 do not really achieve anything except creating some weaknesses and they definietly do not help your fight for the center. When you continue to push pawns, all you are doing is overextending yourself. For example in the end position, the a6 pawn is a huge target had he continued to play, not a strength. And If you are going to play 3. Nc3 your plan should focus on controlling the d5 square, usually placing a knight there at some point, and a very common idea in many king pawn games is to play c3 and d4, taking full control of the center with pawns on both e4 and d4. The player who controls the center usually has the better minor pieces and the one with the better and more active pieces usually wins the game. These are just some quick ideas to throw at you but in general I would reccomend focusing on coming up with plans during your games and sticking to them. Then afterwards evaluate whether or not it was the right plan and if not try to find out what would have been better. In my experience, that is the best way to improve. 

josh3

why was the game drawn?

Tom102
josh3 wrote:

why was the game drawn?

We agreed.

Scottrf

It looks like white is winning to me. If you're that bothered about the pin does Ne5 at the end not work? Or even g4 looks possible.

Actually forget Ne5 because Bxe5 is check.

SilentKnighte5

I think good grammar is a start to good chess.

Akatsuki64
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

I think good grammar is a start to good chess.

Ha, agreed..........................................................................dad.

SilentKnighte5

I like White here.  Not sure why you agreed to a draw.  Rule #1 of chess improvement, don't agree to draws unless it's a textbook draw and your opponent has demonstrated his knowledge to hold the draw.  Otherwise you're missing out on a chance to learn why your game is won or lost.

Akatsuki64
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

I like White here.  Not sure why you agreed to a draw.  Rule #1 of chess improvement, don't agree to draws unless it's a textbook draw and your opponent has demonstrated his knowledge to hold the draw.  Otherwise you're missing out on a chance to learn why your game is won or lost.

haha, very funny.

SilentKnighte5

Also missing out on a chance to learn how to win a won game when your opponent won't resign.

Akatsuki64
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Also missing out on a chance to learn how to win a won game when your opponent won't resign.

True enough, true enough, *chuckles*.

Sommerswerd

You should of played on but you'e been brainwashed, Englands well known sportmanship is 100% an inferiority complex, It is a fact that the English apoligize for beating a foreign rival, you want a massive advantage? move out of England.

DrSpudnik

If both players are sick of the travesty unfolding, a draw is the best idea.

soothsayer8
[COMMENT DELETED]
nickmatta
soothsayer8 wrote:

Probably would have played h3 at some point in the opening to avoid that annoying pin, but it didn't matter in the end, the following variation looks sticky for black. Maybe they can hold, though.

24... Bxe5+ loses a queen on the suggested line you provided. 

soothsayer8
nickmatta wrote:
soothsayer8 wrote:

Probably would have played h3 at some point in the opening to avoid that annoying pin, but it didn't matter in the end, the following variation looks sticky for black. Maybe they can hold, though.

24... Bxe5+ loses a queen on the suggested line you provided. 

Ohh, good call. Embarassed

FNTRK
BishopxRook wrote:

Can't you guys use "have" instead of "of"?

"What could I 'have' done better?"

"You should 'have' played..."

Golly....

And I thought Americans don't have a clue about proper english grammar compared to english people, but it seems sometimes it's the other way around. Stereotypes...

SilentKnighte5
FNTRK wrote:
BishopxRook wrote:

Golly....

And I thought Americans don't have a clue about proper english grammar compared to english people, but it seems sometimes it's the other way around. Stereotypes...

They've been inferior to us in all things since 1776.

soothsayer8
FNTRK wrote:
BishopxRook wrote:

Golly....

Yeah, I don't believe that's necessarily true. I've never been to England, though.

Sommerswerd

Sorry about my grammar, I have dyslexia,  I build houses for a living, what most University kids can't do.