Forums

My First U2000 Tournament

Sort:
gmnoob
This Past Weekend I played in a tournament in Kitchener Ontario. I was very happy with the result going 3/4 (I had a bye first round which gave me one point) and getting a 3 way tie for 2nd place in the U2000 class (I played up a division to gain more experience and rating points). Without further ado here are my games.

Game 1 was black against one of the top rated players in the class, and I later found out that he had played board one on my university's chess team before I had become a student there. I am happy I found that out after the game.

An exciting first game for sure! I was already happy with the tournament as I had little hope going into this higher class.

The second game was against an 1800 player this time with white and I played one of the best KIA games of my life (despite missing a free piece because I was so fixated on the positional plan I employed).

The next day came and I started to crumble I just played bad moves despite a good opening i was playing the person who eventually won the class which makes this loss even harder to swallow as I had a good position

In the last game I was sitting right beside the scoresheet and I realized that my only shot at a prize was a win... I proceeded to fail in the opening get smashed the whole game and than at the very end there's a twist I almost feel guilty getting

That game confirms the opinion that resignation is not recommended unless you are in the open division. 

Overall I was impressed with my first day and my result but I could have done better in the last two games for sure. Thanks for reading any comments would be appreciated let me know what you think!!

Important Note! My Analysis was done without computers and done based on my thoughts during the game and only shallow analysis afterward so I probably missed alot. 

gmnoob
[COMMENT DELETED]
jackthemuss

congratulations dude. i enjoyed the "less in depth" commentary as im pretty new to the depth of chess. have played all my life but only learned a few openings and read a few forums in the last 2 months. gd luck with any more tournaments:)

blueemu

In the final game, doesn't 35. Rb8 win? 35. ... Rxc6 36. dxc6 Qxb8 37. c7 Qc8 38. a6 Ba5 39. a7 Bxc7 40. Qc6.

gmnoob

@blueemu Thats a really good Idea!!! I thought it worked too after you brought it up but thought I'd check with a computer and it gives a draw with a miraculous line involving you getting 2 queens that I never would have seen above board I dont think.

I'll post it after class

gmnoob

@blueemu

Here are the lines that I came up with, I used a computer for some of it to check but I tried to see the ideas myself too... I probably would have lost if he'd played this... 

blueemu

Yeah... Queen endings often end up drawn, since it's so hard to make progress without exposing your King to perpetual check.

polynomial

Pretty good tournament, you just need to avoid self-pinning your rooks and you'll be fine.

gmnoob

@jackthemuss 

Thanks for that, yeah the heavy computer analysis tends to make the real lessons of this tournament become less clear, 1 do not pin my rook, 2 always look for intermezzo moves because I tend to miss them in my calculations 

gmnoob

hey I have a question, my rating was just posted and i went up to 1667. Though this is good I thought my rating would be much higher (as I am still provisional). Could anyone who knows how the cfc ratings are calculated for provisional players give me a hand confirming this new rating

element18

Great Tournament! I don't know much about the ratings but I'm sure you will figure it out. Keep playing chess and post more!