Forums

Was this piece sacrifice sound?

Sort:
InfiniteFlash

I tried this sack in blitz and eventually won a pawn. I may have had better, so did my opponent probably.

only now I realize 20.Qh7+ Kf8 21.Nxf7 Qxf7 22.Qh8+ wins a piece back :(

Abhishek2

I think it was sound. At least, I wouldn't hesitate lol

DerekAR

Ehhh...ees ok.

InfiniteFlash

Looks like my sack is sound (as i am engine checking this after analysis), i played it right, but my opponent made a mistake of not playing 18..Rxf3 19.Bxg7 Qf5 20.Rg4 Qxg6 21.Rxg6 Kh7 22.Rg4 Rf7 23.Bf6 Bxf6 24.exf6 Rxf6 25. R (a-rook) somewhere probably d1, gives white extremely promising chances to win, just like in the game continuation, although here both pairs of rooks are on the board.

SmyslovFan

Very nice, infinite flash, but it wasn't much of a sac. You got two passers and a nasty attack for the piece. It would have been hard to calculate it all in blitz, but it would have been even harder to find a defense. 

16.Ne4! followed by 18Rxb4! was the harder idea to find in this sequence. I probably would have just loaded up on the g-file. Having said that, I would have played something like 20.Rd1 to get my last piece into the game. 

The endgame in the final position is definitely easier to play for white, but I wonder if it could have been held with perfect play. White does have two protected passers, but Black's king is in an ideal position and Black will be able to use the f-file to activate his rook. I just dont' know for sure that it's a win.

Malachi1971

Did your engine mention 20.Qh7+ Kf8 21.Bxg7+ Rxg7 22.Qh8+ Ke7 (22...Rg8 23.Qf6+ Qf7 24.Qxf7++) 23.Qxg7+?