Forums

Best Games to Study for Under 1500 Players

Sort:
PeterHyatt

For those of us U1500: 

Who's are the best games collections to study?

I read that Alekihine's games have combinations and tactics, which are good for the 1500 and under.  Is this so?

Tal, for fun, exciting games...?

Capablanca

Can someone recommend a particular star's game collection that helped their progress?

ThrillerFan

Alekhine for Tactics, Capablanca for Positional Play.

And note - This is not an either/or.  You need to be able to play both.  Doesn't matter if you choose openings that "tend to be" positional or tactical in nature.  You need to understand BOTH no matter what!

PeterHyatt

Thanks, ThrillerFan, I intend both. 

Morphy's games?

Where does this fit in?

I've finished Chernev's, "Logical Chess", which was terrific. I am thinking of the new "Most Instructive" by Chernev, in new algabraic notation. 

Thoughts?

baddogno

Just on the off chance that you haven't seen Coach Heisman's website, here is his book list:

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm#anthologies

tinman5150

Peter, If you like Tal you ought to get the book I just acquired. "1000 checkmate combinations". By Victo Henkin. When I got this book I was reading about Victor Henkin. Victor Henkin was Mikhal Tal's co writer in Tal's earlier books. This book was originally written in russian and translated in english. The introduction in the book was presented by Mikhal Tal himself. You ought to look into this book. I just started reading it yesterday.  Ther's a lot of book sellers online. Amazon ; Abebooks theres barnes & noble book stores in your area. So far I'm enjoying it. Check it out