Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #421

SmyslovFan

Caruana, Topalov, and Nakamura all have better chances of winning the Candidates' tournament than Anand. Anand's great, but I think the other three will do better in the next Candidates. Of course, I have been wrong before. 

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #422

Harry081106

carlsen will not because he has the highest rati in the world so if he loses or draws to someone lower than his rating (which is all of us)he will lose rating pointsYell

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #423

mcmodern

Yes, he can do that when the top 50 are all over 2800.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #424

Elroch

I'm going to go for no, for either of them. It's too big a step for a generation.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #425

davestinks

NOT IN A BILLION YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #426

QuantumChessLord

If not, so how is it possible that engines like Houdini or Stockfish got over 3100???

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #427

Pulpofeira

They never get tired.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #428

Herebrocker

if he can keep his gay status as a secret - and if he dooes not get a male partner for sex and friendship - he can put all his energy on chess - and can reach elo 2934

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #429

Herebrocker

QuantumChessLord hat geschrieben:

If not, so how is it possible that engines like Houdini or Stockfish got over 3100???

engines dont have an elo - just a phantasy-elo

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #430

BettorOffSingle

varelse1 wrote:

i don't think so.

As flawless as Carlsen is, he draws way too much to cross 3000. IMO

When you're 2950, a draw against a "mere" 2820 will cost you major rating points.

That is not to say we've seen the last of broken records from Magnus. He has topped Kasparovs highest rating, at the tender age of 22. He is going to be on top for a long time.

Just like Tiger Woods was going to win nineteen majors, and Dwight Gooden was going to win 300 games, with 4000 strikeouts...

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #431

17rileyc

I think if Carlsen passed 3000 elo he would be deemed a nickname similarly to Johnny Manziel: Magnus Chess.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #432

chessmicky

"Just like Tiger Woods was going to win nineteen majors, and Dwight Gooden was going to win 300 games, with 4000 strikeouts."

"Predictions are difficult; especially about the future" Yogi Berra

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #433

SilentKnighte5

Dwight Gooden was amazing.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #434

chessmicky

SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Dwight Gooden was amazing.

His 1985 year, when he was only 20, was the best year any pitcher has had in the last 70 years! 

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #435

Herebrocker

is there anyone in this forum who can tell us how many per cent of games vs ELO x he has to win to cross 3000? calculate it - and you will see how ridiculous this theme is

Post your reply: