Forums

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

Sort:
Mr_Spocky

nope i never think he will

rooperi
abdulmajidsayem1 wrote:

Is it common for this group to spam their crap in random posts?

No thanx, I think i'll pass.

abdulmajidsayem1
rooperi wrote:
abdulmajidsayem1 wrote:

Is it common for this group to spam their crap in random posts?

No thanx, I think i'll pass.

knowledge is meant to be shared thats wat we do.

abdulmajidsayem1
ohsnapzbrah wrote:

The only chance Carlsen has of breaking 3000 is if a handful of players break 2850 or 2900. It won't be Kramnik or Aronian. It'd likely have to be Caruana, Karjakin, Nakamura, Wang, Giri, and a couple of other young stars that haven't broken 2700 yet. 

That brings us in to inflation and all that stuff. I'll simply say about that that the ratings hold the test of time, and most players these days, while not better overall chess players than say Fischer or Karpov, have better foundations and knowledge about the game than the masters of old times. These players (most of the 2700+) just don't have the same flair or strategical genuises that FIscher and Karpov had because it's now common knowledge.

hmmm thanks for the info buddy

abdulmajidsayem1
abdulmajidsayem1

it seemed like a draw but carlsen did it again

abdulmajidsayem1

another win by carlsen vs hou yifan

abdulmajidsayem1

in an interview magnus was asked whether he likes to attain 2900 elo or worldchampion title?

his reply was

both

SameOldFears

I think its gonna be very har for Carlsen to reach 3000, he's still got some time to his peak though.

*Hey Abdul, how do i get that chess diagram thing you have there?

ponz111

I watched the moves he played recently and his interview after the game.

He plays like there is a supercomputer inside his brain and when interviewed he easily steered through very complex line after line almost non stop. It was amazing that he could do such an interview and the way he did the interview.  I have not seen any supergrandmaster who could give this type of interview right after a game.

Can he get to 3000 eventually? That would be near impossible. Can he get to 2900--this is possible and also I think he can get to 100 points plus against the person with the 2nd highest rating. 

From my very long perspective, right now and if he keeps this up for a while--he is the greatest player of all time. His chess is in a class by itself and unique in history.

SameOldFears

It certainly would be a hole lot easier to reach 3000 or 2900 if there was someone with a better ranking out there than himself that he could beat. He gains very little by beating anyone else, and he loses big on draw and loss.

varelse1

Carlsen wins yet another Opposite-colored bishops ending.

What does it take to stop this guy??????

brandonng123

wow! nice game by carlsen

abdulmajidsayem1
Quad6GHz wrote:

I think its gonna be very har for Carlsen to reach 3000, he's still got some time to his peak though.

*Hey Abdul, how do i get that chess diagram thing you have there?

buddy its simple u just have to insert pgn in "insert position or game"option u can see that option on top when u post a reply  it looks like this 

piphilologist

No. With rating deflation is likely that in 10 years he is the only player over 2800.

SmyslovFan

At one point, I thought 2900 was impossible, even for Carlsen. Now, it looks like he may break it in the next few months! 

Having said that, 3000 really is out of reach, even for Carlsen. 

waffllemaster

Obviously gains fall off as you climb, not to mention draws and losses hit you for more points.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to reach ratings that are even above his performance ratings.

If he were regularly turning in 3100 and 3200 performance ratings, then sure, it's possible... but really 2900 is amazing enough.  Lets take this 100 points at a time Laughing

Narz
jesterville wrote:

Fischer was also in the same position as Magnus...the cusp of "going where none other has gone before"...and we all know how he turned out...mad as a hat, some would say.

Fischer was mad to begin with.

ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

Talent on a par with Morphy, Capablanca, Fischer, and Kasparov with rating inflation says that prospects look good. 

Alot of talk about rating inflation, I can't speak on it though but USCF ratings have stayed pretty steady recently (IIRC there was a period of inflation 20-30 years ago so a 2100 player in the 80's or 90's is about as strong as a 2000 now).  Can it be proven that this is not simply an increase in ability?  Have FIDE ratings in general inflated or only among the top players?

beardogjones

He'll be able to make it - because he will raise the level/rating

of the elite once they are able to  begin to emulate his style/strength.

abdulmajidsayem1
Estragon wrote:

I would have imagined 3000 unlikely for a decade or more.  But Carlsen just keeps turning in wins.  He plays almost exclusively in super-GM tournaments so he can continue rising when he is 100 points over most competitors (as did Fischer, as did Karpov, as did Kasparov). 

He's averaged 20 points gained per year since first becoming the World #1, but that included time when some felt he allowed his modeling career to distract him.  For Carlsen, that means there were some tournaments he didn't win.  Those may be more rare these days.  Who knows, what if the kid starts taking it seriously?

With the schedule he keeps, 30 points a year isn't at all unrealistic.  He's gained 11 points in this tournament so far, and gained 13 in 8 games at London last month.  Spring of 2017 could see Magnus at 3000 at just 30/yr.

hmmm buddy i see ur point....that wd b great