Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
netzach

Forget all about rating and just play your best-chess.

Internet-ratings practically meaningless. Particularly on here until software-users are finally eradicated (The site IS trying!)

GlickoRD and ELO are comparable but as stated without fair-play controls there is no point getting worked-up about it.

netzach

:) 

Sorry guys...

You can do anything and be anything! Go all out for 2200 for starters!! (NM in USA). Load your PC with Rybika, Fritz & Houdini. Play cat & mouse with the site's detection-systems whilst wallowing in new-found-glory of being respected and admired high-rated player on chess.com.

The world will be your oyster. Girls will telephone you constantly. Lucrative job-offers will fill the mail-box. Fawning-admirers will send fan-mail.

DalaiLuke

net ... just curious, and hypothetically speaking, of course, but what kind of job offers are we talking about?  :)

netzach

Tax-evasion inspector.

DalaiLuke

what luck, my specialty :)

tchaika
[COMMENT DELETED]
Underminer1

[mod: no spam please]

AndyClifton

Yeah, and I prefer to read real comments, not canned ones.

waffllemaster

groan

Vyomo

I see some problems with Elo. 

Firstly, some countries have inflated ratings because the "1800s" aren't that good(no offence meant).

Other countries, like India, have 1500s who could give GMs a run for their money.

Therefore, every year, I would adjust the ratings to avoid such inflation.

fianchetto123
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster
Vyomo wrote:

I see some problems with Elo. 

Firstly, some countries have inflated ratings because the "1800s" aren't that good(no offence meant).

Other countries, like India, have 1500s who could give GMs a run for their money.

Therefore, every year, I would adjust the ratings to avoid such inflation.

I wish there were a systematic unbiased way to adjust ratings.  Ideally something that could be applied after every tournament, or after every game even.

If some mathematician came up with a way I'm sure there would be applications outside of chess too.

kasnaseem

In all my time playing chess, i noticed that there are two types of ratings, one elo and one is USCF. which one is the most precise for chess ratings? 

My chess craze

ThrillerFan
viswanathan wrote:
turtle wrote: i am starting to understand the rating system, but how do you determine points during a game? are certain peices worth different points? 

turtle, the general points system followed is as follows:

pawn - 1pt.

knight/bishop - 3pts.

rook - 5pts.

queen - 10pts.

of course points are not everything... the position of your piece also matters.. for example you might not mind losing a bishop or rook to save a pawn on the 7th row.. and points dont have any bearing on the game result.. it is just a basic framework to help beginners understand the value of different pieces

Incorrect - Queen is 9, not 10.

2 Rooks vs a Queen, no extra pawn for the possessor of the Queen, all other factors equal, is better for the 2 Rooks.  Of course, other factors aren't always equal.

I think the points system as a whole is a joke.  I've seen games, especially Bishop vs Knight, where a Knight is as strong as a Queen and a Bishop is as weak as a backwards pawn, and I've seen other games where the Bishop runs rampant like a Queen, and the Knight takes for ever to get from one place to another I'd almost rather have a pawn.  This is especially true for the Bishop pair on an open board vs the Knight pair.

Vyomo

Agreed. The rating system is just a guideline. Players have been Queen up but mated. 

The best example of how flawed the system is a bishop endgame pawn down. Opposite coloured bishop is WAY better than same coloured in that position.

Islandplans

These two items have likely been posted many times but I can't read through all postings.

1) I try often to play higher ratings so when a game comes up the higher rated player sometimes aborts.  I guess this is due to my lower rating, so my question is, why not just set one's ratings to play a desired range and not waste anyone's time?

2)  Because of the aforementioned selected ratings range, a person's rating can be manipulated (eg play lower and pad your score).  It is a lower '+' score, but still a '+'.

landwehr

The only accurate rating is based on OTB play.

Ratings based on playing on the internet are, for a number of reasons, unreliable and inaccurate and not worth worrying about

APawnCanDream
landwehr wrote:

The only accurate rating is based on OTB play.

Ratings based on playing on the internet are, for a number of reasons, unreliable and inaccurate and not worth worrying about

Agreed!

Who_dares_wins7

Hello, i have just joined. How do i release chess pieces once i have picked them up?

DavidMertz1

I'm not sure how you are picking them up, but it's generally a click and drag thing, so just let go of the mouse button?