Forums

chess.com doesn't do itself credit

Sort:
Arctor

Nakamura and Aronian amongst others regularly play on ICC...

No disrespect to the titled guys and gals we have here...but I think ICC wins

trysts
waffllemaster wrote:

I don't think Carlsen himself is here... but these other players are probably titled players in real life... most of them anyway.

Are you guessing, or do you know some titled players here that don't advertise their title?

waffllemaster
SteveCollyer wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
Reb wrote:

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=44332534

here for example is a known B class player ( OTB ) that is a pawn up against a well known GM ... the GM is 2600 FIDE but here the B class player is also 200 points higher rated than the GM !??  Who thinks this B class player ust suddenly improved a lot ?!  

Naa, "edward hunting" is probably just his alias.  Besides if the guy was doing what you're suggesting then chess.com would ban him promptly.

Turn Based is an engine free-for-all once you look at players rated above 2500 on this site.

If you want to see a page of those I can guarantee are engine users currently active on site, then...

echess/players.html

Staff simply don't have the resources to investigate & ban all engine users & it's far easier to ban them in Live Chess for some reason or other.

Very few of the top TB players play regularly now in LC.  Those that dooften have a massive discrepancy between ratings.

Virtually all the players in this thread:

chesscom---list-of-caught-cheaters?lc=1#last_comment

played LC regularly & got banned as a result.

Woah woah woah, that's a bold accusation my friend!  I think it's only fair to assume the players you've listed (the top 50 on this site!) are all legit until proven otherwise.

Besides, talkin' like that'll get this topic locked, and after I took the time to go back and italicize all my important points lol Smile

kco
Reb wrote:

here for example is a known B class player ( OTB ) that is a pawn up against a well known GM ... the GM is 2600 FIDE but here the B class player is also 200 points higher rated than the GM !??  Who thinks this B class player just suddenly improved a lot ?!  

Reb, otb is different from the turn-based, right ? maybe B-player got more time to study the moves and maybe the GM doesn't use any of the feature making quick move ?

waffllemaster
trysts wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:

I don't think Carlsen himself is here... but these other players are probably titled players in real life... most of them anyway.

Are you guessing, or do you know some titled players here that don't advertise their title?

Ok, seriously, I'm getting a little tired of all of this Laughing 

I can only hope I've made my point clear... not that it's a particularly novel one.

waffllemaster
kco wrote:
Reb wrote:

here for example is a known B class player ( OTB ) that is a pawn up against a well known GM ... the GM is 2600 FIDE but here the B class player is also 200 points higher rated than the GM !??  Who thinks this B class player just suddenly improved a lot ?!  

Reb, otb is different from the turn-based, right ? maybe B-player got more time to study the moves and maybe the GM doesn't use any of the feature making quick move ?

Good point, wish it hadn't slipped my mind.

trysts

Oh, so this was waffle's subtle way of creating a cheat thread? NiceLaughing

waffllemaster
LordNazgul wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
SteveCollyer wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
Reb wrote:

here for example is a known B class player ( OTB ) that is a pawn up against a well known GM ... the GM is 2600 FIDE but here the B class player is also 200 points higher rated than the GM !??  Who thinks this B class player ust suddenly improved a lot ?!  

Naa, "edward hunting" is probably just his alias.  Besides if the guy was doing what you're suggesting then chess.com would ban him promptly.

Turn Based is an engine free-for-all once you look at players rated above 2500 on this site.

If you want to see a page of those I can guarantee are engine users currently active on site, then...

echess/players.html

Staff simply don't have the resources to investigate & ban all engine users & it's far easier to ban them in Live Chess for some reason or other.

Very few of the top TB players play regularly now in LC.  Those that dooften have a massive discrepancy between ratings.

Virtually all the players in this thread:

chesscom---list-of-caught-cheaters?lc=1#last_comment

played LC regularly & got banned as a result.

Woah woah woah, that's a bold accusation my friend!  I think it's only fair to assume the players you've listed (the top 50 on this site!) are all legit until proven otherwise.

Most players in the top 50 CC have been analyzed and found to have extremely high engine match rates.

What would be the reason for GMs to play here while keeping their titles secret ?

Nonsense.  If they were analysed and found to be cheating then chess.com would ban them.  It makes no sense to allow cheaters to keep playing after work's been put in to prove they're cheating.  There's no way chess.com would do that.

TheOldReb
kco wrote:
Reb wrote:

You are kidding , right ?  This idea that , given enough time, a B class player can play better than a GM is about as bankrupt/faulty an idea as there is. 

waffllemaster
trysts wrote:

Oh, so this was waffle's subtle way of creating a cheat thread? Nice

I'd like to believe I'm as straight forward as they come madam.  My fault seems once again to be patience.  Oh well Tongue out

trysts
LordNazgul wrote:
trysts wrote:

Oh, so this was waffle's subtle way of creating a cheat thread? Nice

Another topic that might be interesting is, I heard that there are teachers playing on this site as well. What should be done about this ?

LordAtos, the only way I win, is for teachers to continue to use their wonderful minds to play chess here. Laughing

SteveCollyer
LordNazgul wrote:

I suggest that, being obviously very poorly informed about these matters, you refrain from pontificating too much about them.

They are not banned because the site doesn't take high engine match-up rates as decisive proof.

Well yeah, that & they don't even appear to have the resources to perform match rate analysis in the first place. Frown

Banning dozens of premium paying members is also a very bitter pill to swallow for the site owner, I should imagine.

eddysallin

I've come across strong (a little too strong) players rated say16-1750,but also highly rated players who are rather weak......since its both ways I'm not sure what the hell is going on ( cheating is part of it). Part of the problem-- "accumulating points playing much weaker players"-- selective chess playing. Chess passion drives many desires,ratings and winning are a few.The way i see it ,these two are not an end in themselves but part of what should be entertainment , pleasure and satisfaction in what u are doing.When chess gets out of balance u have the b.s. creep in....... 

waffllemaster
[COMMENT DELETED]
waffllemaster
LordNazgul wrote:

wafflemaster,

The site has very high requirements for establishing proof of cheating, and insufficient human resources to devote to cheating detection. The site management doesn't claim that all the top players here are legitimate, but that there is no conclusive evidence of their cheating.

Your notion that all the 2400 + playing here must be GMs and IMs playing incognito is touchingly naive, I suppose you must be pretty young ?

I've always liked you Tongue outSealed

Stu74
I think this site is great fun for people who love chess.It shouldnt be taken to serious.There is a number of ways to cheat at chess on the internet.I know one way and i wouldnt get found out.I cant see the point in cheating myself but if money is at stake then some people will cheat.The only way to find out peoples real rating is to play the old fashioned way face to face.
waffllemaster
LordNazgul wrote:

wafflemaster,

The site has very high requirements for establishing proof of cheating, and insufficient human resources to devote to cheating detection. The site management doesn't claim that all the top players here are legitimate, but that there is no conclusive evidence of their cheating.

Your notion that all the 2400 + playing here must be GMs and IMs playing incognito is touchingly naive, I suppose you must be pretty young ?

Exactally my point.  You all jumping in here and accusing hundreds of people you don't even know, and don't have any evidence against is just crazy.

The idea of my post, and I think it was a good one, was to try to get chess.com to use all these titled players to help advertise this already great site.

Deranged
Reb wrote:

UUhhhmmm  There are many A and B class players ( otb ) that are over 2600 online rating here...... I dont think they are " titled strength " players if you make them turn off their engines that are playing their games...... 

If they were engines they would be banned before they even got a chance to reach 2600. Just admit that not everyone who has a title chooses to register it.

SteveCollyer
Deranged wrote:
Reb wrote:

UUhhhmmm  There are many A and B class players ( otb ) that are over 2600 online rating here...... I dont think they are " titled strength " players if you make them turn off their engines that are playing their games...... 

If they were engines they would be banned before they even got a chance to reach 2600. Just admit that not everyone who has a title chooses to register it.

So how do you explain the dozens of 2500+ rated chess.com players who have been banned in the past, some after quite long chess.com 'careers'.

How many names from July 2010's table are banned for cheating when you check 'em now?

Here's the table, just in case you don't believe me...

SteveCollyer